DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '95 Civic's (sedan) door panels rattle a little bit when certain (usually lower) frequencies are played. They do have sound deadening material on then (pretty thin). The tweeters were installed in there, and the wires from those go into the doors themselves to my crossovers in back.

I'm not sure if it's just that my door panels aren't on REAL tight, the wires rattling just enough, or the panels themselves resonating. It's very hard to tell, as sometimes a little bit of pressure (at almost any point in the door panel) will mostly stop the rattling. Sometimes not, though.

So, I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to find a way to make the wires silent if they move (they hang pretty free...I couldn't do much else). I'm not exactly sure what to do there, though.

Also, for the door panels, I'm wondering if some sort of foam material would be beneficial? Maybe like a sheet cut to fit in there? Some sort of foam tape? Spray foam? I'm pretty clueless here.

I'll be going to college again in a few weeks here, and want whatever I do to last me, whether that be things not "deteriorating", falling apart/falling off, etc. (I can't do any work down there on the car). I am, however, hoping it can be something cheap, quick, and easy. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Either add weight, isolate, or cover it up with foam to absorb the rattle.

No one can tell you which will work until you determine exactly what is making the noise.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
thin layer of liquid nails and or spray foam in a can. wear gloves and eye mask for spray foam.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Raise the HPF on your mids or increase the slope. ;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Remove your door panel. glue a large piece of open cell foam about 1/2" thick to the back of the panel. (You want something that compresses quite a bit)
Then, wrap the free wires in the door in some thin foam so that they wont make noise rattling around in the door. Try putting the panlel back on and see what you get.
After that you can try to isolate other pieces, like door handle, plastic door pieces, etc that might need a little mass added, or foam to decouple them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remove your door panel. glue a large piece of open cell foam about 1/2" thick to the back of the panel. (You want something that compresses quite a bit)
Then, wrap the free wires in the door in some thin foam so that they wont make noise rattling around in the door. Try putting the panlel back on and see what you get.
After that you can try to isolate other pieces, like door handle, plastic door pieces, etc that might need a little mass added, or foam to decouple them.
This sounds like the best option so far. Where can I get foam like this? Also, what sort of glue works best for this?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.