DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble deciding which method for bringing sound to my front stage would be best. I have an 85 Monte Carlo SS, with stock 3.5's in the dash. I'm looking to put 6.5 components @ 2ohms (most likely infinity ref.) up front running from an amp. The comps would be mainly for higher end mid frequencies and highs, while the 6x9's in rear panel would fill midbass. Without fabricating my own, I have two pre-made solutions that I know of, door pods and Q-logic kickpanels. Both would be sound dampened with rammat.

Option 1 ($200-ish):

Option 2 ($180-ish):

Which one would you go with and why?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would say 2, but given the angle of the woofer, its basically firing at the console
on 1, the woofer is not far enough forward for good stage IMO (plus, the drivers side woofer would be firing into your leg.)
I would try to find a different version of 2, and mount the tweeters in pods up on the dash (mounted to the A pillars).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Door panels, generally due to their larger volume, if damped enough (more than enough actually) would produce by far better midbass.
You may want the front separates for better mids and highs, but they blend really well with thw rear 6x9s when they also have good midbass frequencies.
Kicks, are always a nice solution for creating a better soundstage, but less midbass, and the sonic rainbow effect. (that is if you don't or will not use a sound processor).
I'd go for the doors, but I would check again for a better speaker than the one you have in mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Door panels, generally due to their larger volume, if damped enough (more than enough actually) would produce by far better midbass.
You may want the front separates for better mids and highs, but they blend really well with thw rear 6x9s when they also have good midbass frequencies.
Kicks, are always a nice solution for creating a better soundstage, but less midbass, and the sonic rainbow effect. (that is if you don't or will not use a sound processor).
I'd go for the doors, but I would check again for a better speaker than the one you have in mind.
I can only comment on what I've used and the Infinity Ref's have been good. I have them in my Typhoon (also in kickpanels) and they sound pretty good. I've had several brands, mostly the entry level models, and for the price I pay, I'm happy. I'm willing to look into image dynamics ctx and some crescendo as well.

I'm going to go with the kickpanels and if they don't work out, I'll change it up. The exhaust is quite loud in this car so I know sound dampening, in stages, will be needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts