DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to add some "real" midbass speakers to my system but unfortunately my doors are too shallow and even with spacers the mids will bump against the door cards during full excursion. In other words I'm sick of trying to work around this handicap. I've built a few fiberglass/wood/bondo sub boxes and various amp racks but have never attempted to build matching/symmetrical panels. Is anyone near Austin good at this and perhaps willing to lend me a hand or some advice? I'm not in any hurry and could also pay you/exchange services for your time.

BTW - this if for my Subby and I may try it on my GF's Sentra if I can get my head around it.

·
Banned
244 Posts
pretty simple, have door pod template, use some glass to make a base, wrap with fabric, glass, cover/paint and attach to vehicle. average pods i used to charge $250ish+

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The best thing you could do is get an extra pair of door cards from a junk yard and practice on those.

As long as you don't hack them up too bad you'll be able to fix any mistakes you make with some fiberglass repairs until you get them the way you want.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best thing you could do is get an extra pair of door cards from a junk yard and practice on those.

As long as you don't hack them up too bad you'll be able to fix any mistakes you make with some fiberglass repairs until you get them the way you want.
That would help for sure. My door card is actually a 2 piece set up with the bottom plastic part plastic welded to the top. What i would like to do is redo the entire bottom part and cover it in vinyl or suede. Like I said I've done fiber glass work on a smaller scale and stretched vinyl but I really want this to be nice. Like anything else I'm sure there are subtleties I'm not aware of when glassing plastic.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Any idea on how much a junkyard would charge for a pair of door cards (I assume cards means the interior trim on the door :blush: )?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any idea on how much a junkyard would charge for a pair of door cards (I assume cards means the interior trim on the door :blush: )?

Check Ebay for the door panels.

Having an extra set is the only way to go. Not only protects you should you "mess up", but also allows you to return the car back to stock for trade-in value AND allows you to fabricate at your own pace, taking as long as you want.

There are SEVERAL threads all over the web (and I thought a few on this site...could be wrong). I found a few threads (on multiple sites) earlier this year with really nice "step by step" instructions. Try Google.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Any possibility you have a Volvo 850?

If you did, I would send you my door pods for FREE!

You'd have room for up to any 9" of your choosing.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Check Ebay for the door panels.

Having an extra set is the only way to go. Not only protects you should you "mess up", but also allows you to return the car back to stock for trade-in value AND allows you to fabricate at your own pace, taking as long as you want.

There are SEVERAL threads all over the web (and I thought a few on this site...could be wrong). I found a few threads (on multiple sites) earlier this year with really nice "step by step" instructions. Try Google.

Good Luck.
Ah, I'll check that out. You posted the reasons I want a back-up set. :)

Any possibility you have a Volvo 850?

If you did, I would send you my door pods for FREE!

You'd have room for up to any 9" of your choosing.
lol, kind of a longshot. No, I have a rustang and the OP has a Subaru.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would also try and find a set of door panels from a junk yard. I'm going to custom mount my EQ controller in the overhead console in my 96 Blazer. I didnt want to hack up my original one so I went to the junk yard close to me and found one exact color and all for only $2.00...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a '05 Forester XT, which has the same doors as the '04-'06 Impreza. I cut up my original door panels and it took me 2 years to find some replacements on eBay. Impreza panels are much easier to come by.

I'm a believer in having the drivers mounted to the actual door. Here was my 1st attempt, which didn't work out because I didn't compensate for the thickness of the vinyl and the fiberglass build up in the back where the actual driver pod was:

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=3149

I'm going to try something like this next:

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=5816

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's very similar to what I'm trying to accomplish, thanks for the links.
I'd like to go with a very beefy 6.5 or possible an 8 to go along with a 4" and then mount my tweets in the pillars above the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts