DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've had a 12" pioneer downfiring sub/box in my Jeep for a few months. Completely satisfied with what it's doing for as little as I paid for it. But, i got to wondering what it would sound like if I faced it up instead of down. To my ear I couldn't really tell alot of difference in the ~30 seconds of a song I played.
Then I remembered I have an old radio shack 33-2050 sound level meter. Would that be the best way to tell which orientation gets the most bass?
Not trying to be super scientific, just figured if I can get a little more out of this then why not.
Was going to try it:
- downfiring
- downfiring with some "feet" on it (I had read that was recommended on this model on a youtube video)
- upfiring
- Facing towards the tailgate (although I am not sure how I would mount the box??)
Again, this is if a Jeep and it's not known for a quality sound environment but it'll be a rainy weekend so I figured this might be a quick project .
Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had jl audio cp108lg sub box ,it fitted pretty nicely to my suv downfiring near trunk location space keeping everything neat & hidden,the bass was pretty good

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
OK, so I've had a 12" pioneer downfiring sub/box in my Jeep for a few months. Completely satisfied with what it's doing for as little as I paid for it. But, i got to wondering what it would sound like if I faced it up instead of down. To my ear I couldn't really tell alot of difference in the ~30 seconds of a song I played.

Then I remembered I have an old radio shack 33-2050 sound level meter. Would that be the best way to tell which orientation gets the most bass?

Not trying to be super scientific, just figured if I can get a little more out of this then why not.

Was going to try it:

- downfiring

- downfiring with some "feet" on it (I had read that was recommended on this model on a youtube video)

- upfiring

- Facing towards the tailgate (although I am not sure how I would mount the box??)

Again, this is if a Jeep and it's not known for a quality sound environment but it'll be a rainy weekend so I figured this might be a quick project .

Thanks for any thoughts.
That meter should be fine for that purpose, just make sure you stay below it's maximum level. As for orientation, every car is different, a Jeep owner could give better suggestions, but test every orientation and see what works best for you. You could probably also use an spl or rta app on your phone, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all.

I guess it's been too long since I've used this meter. It works fine but I just don't know what settings are best for my application.

On the Range I had it at 100 or 120. Everything else seemed too sensitive. I really couldn't tell the difference in it downfiring or pointing up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts