DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm going to put myself in the "if it's too loud, you're too old" category. I did some testing in my car last night with my Brahma 12. I used a QSC RMX850 amplifier (830 watts @ 4 ohms), and had the Brahma in a ported box that was given to me...a box that is nowhere near what it needs (too small, and only a single 3" pvc port). I had also planned on roughly 1500 watts of power.

With this in mind I did some testing last night. With tones playing and a clamp + DMM, I found 20 watts to be quite loud in my car. Granted this was with the sub firing forward, and the back seat down...but still. I had horrible rattling issues with only ~70 watts.

The issue I have is that I wanted a bit more bottom end fill. Otherwise, the stock stereo wasn't that bad (besides lack of MP3, etc).

Now I'm back to thinking that the 8's ported in the rear deck is really the way I want to go...as I need as much space in the trunk as I can possibly get, and having a 4 cubic foot box doesn't work well with all my work gear plus my kid's stroller. I suppose I could always glass a corner box into the trunk at a later time for those rare times when I want more bass though!

Am I crazy going from ported single 12 to 2 ported 8's?

Eric

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I guess I'm going to put myself in the "if it's too loud, you're too old" category. I did some testing in my car last night with my Brahma 12. I used a QSC RMX850 amplifier (830 watts @ 4 ohms), and had the Brahma in a ported box that was given to me...a box that is nowhere near what it needs (too small, and only a single 3" pvc port). I had also planned on roughly 1500 watts of power.

With this in mind I did some testing last night. With tones playing and a clamp + DMM, I found 20 watts to be quite loud in my car. Granted this was with the sub firing forward, and the back seat down...but still. I had horrible rattling issues with only ~70 watts.

The issue I have is that I wanted a bit more bottom end fill. Otherwise, the stock stereo wasn't that bad (besides lack of MP3, etc).

Now I'm back to thinking that the 8's ported in the rear deck is really the way I want to go...as I need as much space in the trunk as I can possibly get, and having a 4 cubic foot box doesn't work well with all my work gear plus my kid's stroller. I suppose I could always glass a corner box into the trunk at a later time for those rare times when I want more bass though!

Am I crazy going from ported single 12 to 2 ported 8's?

Eric
No, not really two 8's will have about the same cone area a little less but not much.
So if there is any thing to gain by doing whats planed its nots a bad idea. Ive had much worse ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts