DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a beautiful 2000 Volvo V70R and I want to install the best possible stereo I can, The car did come with a aftermarket stereo but it sounds pretty bad.

What Is currently in car:

Alpine 9857
Rockford Fosgate 3001 for a pre-made sub box , subs gone.
Rockford Fosgate 4001 running stocks mids and tweets in front and stock mids in rear doors

What I currently have:

Soundstream ref 405 (old school version)
Alpine SPX-F17M components
12" Image Dynamics IDQ12 V2D2 dual 4 ohm subwoofer in a pre made box around 1 cubic ft.

I Would love to use any or all of what I already have but any ideas are appreciated.

What I looking for:
The best poss sound in the front two seats
no rear fill

I have been thinking about replacing my Alpine HU with the a pioneer DEX-P99RS, It cost a arm and a leg but I want to try to run active and the built in time alignment and 31 band eq might be nice too.

Also

The car has a place for the tweeters in the dash and even has sail panels that could be used for the tweeters if the dash placement is terrible for imagining.

I would like to try the alpine mids and tweets before I upgrade but maybe the soundstream wont be quite enough to really make them wail.

Thanks in advance if you have any knowledge for me.

JC

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have pretty close to the same car, I have a 1998 XC70 that I am about to have my system installed. It is good to have another vovlo owner on here. I just wish our front doors were not so shallow really limits what we can put there. I have a set of focals that I am gonna try and get crammed in there this week or next.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
I have an 01 C70 Coupe, what stereo do you have in the car? 3 way front locations? Center channel location? 8" door speakers or 6.5"? Need more info to help you out. I have taken my car apart so many times over the past 2 years that I can have the dash off in about 3 minutes and door panels in about the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2000 V70R. Dream system, maybe with your help.

Two way set up in front, 6.5 in front doors and tweeters in the dash/sail panel if thats found to be better.

I guess its a pretty shallow spot in the front door for mids but there may be room behind the speaker grill to build something out.

Not using the center channel even though it has the built in grill in center of dash but its been disconnected.

Are you loving your XC?

R

Thinking about getting another soundstream something like a D60II to power the tweeters, I wish some of the heavy hitters would chime in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have gotten limited help around here on alot of my questions most of my knowledge has come from reading and the volvo fourums. There is no real way around the doors, you will find that out once you take them of the first time. The hole is metal backed and the other side is the window. There is a plastic peice that the factory speaker is mounted to, you will need to re-use this to mount your separates. I talked with my installer and I am going to have them fiberglassed and re inforced with MDF and then apply second skin to deaden the doors as much as possible. These are great cars but the doors are no fun at all. Other than that they have tons of possibilities. The center channel is a specialized piece that is just the size of the bump on the center of your dash.

Chef have you put any of the AP full range drivers in your car? If so got any pics to share I would love to see them. I have thought about doing it but I dont want to cut up the a pillars and I dont think the dash is deep enough without cutting into the heating ducts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just saw these in the Classifieds in Scott from Hybrid audios FS thread, if you haven't bought your front speakers yet these are a great deal and will fit your car they are on crutchfield for $650.00. I have a set of these that are going in my car if we cant get the Utopias to fit.

Focal Polyglass 165VR at $300.00/each set.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you're going to keep the idq i'd go ported. I have two of them, and used both in 1 cu.ft. boxes running about 400 watts to each. That didn't yield enough volume.

I use 1 IDQ12 now in a ported box and it sounds juicy good and volume is decent.

BTW, I started my car life in a 1988 Volvo 240GL. That car was not my dream car. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts