DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1/4" thick abs plastic baffles for my pillar pods. I have to counter sink the tweeters in it a hair. Would a forstner (I think is spelled it wrong) do this or do I need something else?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have 1/4" thick abs plastic baffles for my pillar pods. I have to counter sink the tweeters in it a hair. Would a forstner (I think is spelled it wrong) do this or do I need something else?
I haven't tried a forstner bit on plastic, but I use these bits and they make clean holes in plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1720-Brad-Point-6-Piece/dp/B005GOM3VO/ref=sr_1_41?keywords=dewalt+drill+bits&qid=1565557306&s=gateway&sr=8-41

EDIT:
Oops, I misread that it's for a recess only, not a hole... Then yes, a forstner bit providing you have a drill press.

What diameter is the tweeter, or what diameter does the recessed area need to be?

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried a forstner bit on plastic, but I use these bits and they make clean holes in plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1720-Brad-Point-6-Piece/dp/B005GOM3VO/ref=sr_1_41?keywords=dewalt+drill+bits&qid=1565557306&s=gateway&sr=8-41

EDIT:

Oops, I misread that it's for a recess only, not a hole... Then yes, a forstner bit providing you have a drill press.

What diameter is the tweeter, or what diameter does the recessed area need to be?
No drill press. Vice and a drill. I need about a 2" recess. Just to so down maybe 1/8"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
No drill press. Vice and a drill. I need about a 2" recess. Just to so down maybe 1/8"

Is there an existing hole already?

If so a router and rabbet bit could do a clean job, too.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an existing hole already?

If so a router and rabbet bit could do a clean job, too.
Nope. I'm making the holes. I dont have any of those tools anymore nor the steadiness to use them

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
The forstner is smooth going until it pokes through.
If one was poking it through, then drop in a 1/16" hole first. Then go in from the back side 1/16". Flip it over and "Bob's your uncle".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts