DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Slowpoke
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys, but I really like drums. I can sit and listen to just drummers for hours on end. Even high school/college drum lines. I don't find too many albums that are just geared to drums however & thought I'd post up and see what sort of beats you folks know about.

To kick things off - 2 of my favorites

Mickey Hart - Planet Drum
Mickey Hart - Supralingua

:drummer:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
A few off of the top of my head...

...in the same vain as Mickey Hart:

Discogs - Artists - Brent Lewis - Rhythm Hunter/Pulse/JungleMoon/Drum Sex

Antonio Sanchez - Birdman Soundtrack

Roberto Gatto - Nino!

Arne Domnérus and Lars Erstrand - Live is Life and Jazz at the Pawn Shop

Greg Bissonette - Warning Will Robinson

The Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc - For Audio Component Testing And Evaluation - "Drum Improvisation" tracks by Ronn Tutt & Jim Keltner

Clifford Jordan Quartet - Live At Ethell's, on Mapleshade Records (Track: Arapaho, and others)

Jimmy-Cliff - Give Thankx (Track: Bongo Man) Warning: You have to get a Hi-Res Rip from the original Vinyl LP...The CD & YouTube video tracks suck!!!

Aric Improta - Blur-Lights in the Videodrome

Lots of Latin Percussion Artists: Tito Puente, Poncho Sanchez, etc.
LP Music - Artists Legends

Check out YouTube video Channels & Drum Kit Demos by:

Carter McLean, Drummer's Review, Memphisdrumshop & MyCymbal.com, Drum Center of Portsmouth NH, Drumcenter CZ, SweetwaterSound (drum kit demos by Nick D'Virgilio)...

LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES OR A GOOD SYSTEM WITH A SUBWOOFER @ 720P or 1080P for the best Audio Quality.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

·
Slowpoke
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Err, I even searched & didn't see that post. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Great post bbfoto - some good stuff in there!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Err, I even searched & didn't see that post. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Great post bbfoto - some good stuff in there!
No worries. I would contact Audionutz and order his "Drums & Percussion" series of SQ complilation discs. ;)

There are also some amazing drums & percussion in large orchestral works. Everything from incredibly articulate, quiet details, to huge, thunderous timpani & cymbal crashes. And very few other types of recordings capture the sound stage and the essence of a large 3-dimensional space. i.e. if your system reproduces an expansive sound stage with excellent width, depth, and room ambience, you will be rewarded.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Check this out:

This is my father's band, Mystify. They are an INXS tribute band, and I've had the pleasure of being part of that experience. This is v1 of the electronic drum set he had, at one of the more recent shows

This is v2, this is a setup I helped design and wire together.

I built an XLR "spine" to connect everything

So what's happening here is this is the drum set takes 16 channels to run (compared with like...2 to 4) and those outputs pass through Studio 192's to Steven Slate drum software running realtime through a Macbook Pro. 4 additional channels run to a backup Roland drum machine that serves as a live-change backup in case the Mac or software fails during a show, so the drum beat goes on as long as the mixer guy picks up the queue.

There's also v3 which I need to take a pic of, which includes a swap to acoustic drums with triggers for a hybrid sound. Needless to say, this house (and the concert venues he goes to) rocks drums pretty hard.

I'll have to see if I can upload some videos in action or maybe see if I can pull a recording straight out of one of the mixing board outputs some time. It would make a great sound check file for car audio!

For those that remember the C5 Vette I got to build a while back, it was for my father as well and that's why we went so aggro on the bass and midbass. He's "kinda" into it.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
^Nice, man!

I was going to say (especially for that first setup), I absolutely PITY the drum tech! Holy setup & breakdown! And man, that's A LOT of inputs to mix. How many channels end up going to FOH?

I'm sure it sounds amazing, though! Love INXS, so I'm interested to hear them. A recording off of the final mixdown board would be cool. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts