DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I really like drums. I can sit and listen to just drummers for hours on end. Even high school/college drum lines. I don't find too many albums that are just geared to drums however & thought I'd post up and see what sort of beats you folks know about.

To kick things off - 2 of my favorites

Mickey Hart - Planet Drum
Mickey Hart - Supralingua

:drummer:
Names that are indeed worth mentioning.
The best that there probably is first...

Mr. Dave Weckyl. Nothing to say here except superhuman. Simply the best that there is. He has it all! His ability to play syncopated rythms is unsurpassed.
Obviously anything Buddy Rich. Again superhuman.

Second to this would be Vinnie Colaiuta. Listen to Frank Zappas Joes Garage. Enough said.

Third would be Steve Gadd. Elegant tasteful playing.

There are so many great players ie... ( Marvin Smitty Smith, Steve Smith, Carlos Vega, Terry Bozio, Simon Philips etc...), but the ones I mentioned at the start should be at the top of any percussionists list.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Check this out:

This is my father's band, Mystify. They are an INXS tribute band, and I've had the pleasure of being part of that experience. This is v1 of the electronic drum set he had, at one of the more recent shows

This is v2, this is a setup I helped design and wire together.

I built an XLR "spine" to connect everything

So what's happening here is this is the drum set takes 16 channels to run (compared with like...2 to 4) and those outputs pass through Studio 192's to Steven Slate drum software running realtime through a Macbook Pro. 4 additional channels run to a backup Roland drum machine that serves as a live-change backup in case the Mac or software fails during a show, so the drum beat goes on as long as the mixer guy picks up the queue.

There's also v3 which I need to take a pic of, which includes a swap to acoustic drums with triggers for a hybrid sound. Needless to say, this house (and the concert venues he goes to) rocks drums pretty hard.

I'll have to see if I can upload some videos in action or maybe see if I can pull a recording straight out of one of the mixing board outputs some time. It would make a great sound check file for car audio!

For those that remember the C5 Vette I got to build a while back, it was for my father as well and that's why we went so aggro on the bass and midbass. He's "kinda" into it.
Beautiful E drums dude.?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Can't remember if I already posted this, but it's great on a good system with good midbass and subwoofer...
Stanton Moore performing "Pie-Eyed Manc" on the Drumeo channel from his band Galactic's "Groove Alchemy" album. Skip forward a tick to 0:14 to bypass the intro...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
While the SQ on this isn't the greatest, and the first song in this performance is one of my all time favorites, the second song in this video really shows Vinnie's versatility and mastery of the drums. Amazing performance by all at the 2007 Crossroads Guitar Festival...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
^Barely 3 minutes. Unfortunately, (IMPO) not even close to the speed, Dynamics, Endurance, timing, composition, artistry, and musicality of Aric Improta.

Posted the following before...a long performance...but if you're a drummer, worth a listen all the way through...

(available to download in 24-bit/48kHz on his BandCamp page)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts