DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
FLAC is just a lossless format like WAV, or Apple Lossless. It is no better than any other lossless format with regard to sound quality. The only difference is that FLAC has a clever way of keeping the files smaller, like a ZIP file. The data is identical to the original CD, or any other lossless format. I believe DSD if part of Sony's SACD, and there aren't really any practical ways of playing these without a home audio player that supports SACD. Someone else will need to confirm this though, I'm not 100% sure.

There is an argument about hi-res that it's totally pointless, because standard 44.1 KHz/16 bit is already past the limit of our hearing. Regardless of where you stand on the Hi-res argument, it's pretty widely agreed that the recording, mixing, and mastering all have much more to do with the sound quality of the music than the sampling rate between standard and hi-res.

·
Registered
729 Posts
DSD all the way. I'm hoping for a time when DSD is the standard.

Gijoe you have a lot to learn about this stuff. What you said is totally wrong about human hearing and what we have with CD quality totally surpasses its perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts

The super high quality master clock will retain and reproduce the exact timing information of L/R and when you get this right the stage is almost life-like on a Hi-Fi system.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
DSD all the way. I'm hoping for a time when DSD is the standard.

Gijoe you have a lot to learn about this stuff. What you said is totally wrong about human hearing and what we have with CD quality totally surpasses its perception.

I'm going to have to go with Nyquist on this one, and say that 44.1khz/16 bits is more than adequate. We here from 20hz-20khz, at best. You can make an argument for hi-res, and I'm not necessarily going to dispute it, but I'd rather have a CD that was properly mastered than a hi-res source that wasn't.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sigh... Didn't even bother to watch the videos eh.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Native dsd/dsf vs pcm?

Native content is sonically superior than converted to pcm in terms of resolution & less conversion.

Native DSD can only be played with the Sony RSX- Gs9 in a car setting.

That's how I play all my music, since my collection is 90% DSD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts