DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Dsp blown tweeter advice..

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Loud Residence 
#1 ·
Thank you everyone for all your help. I do have another question. I had the focal ps165fx3 and have tuned them multiple times with helix mk2 and everything went well. But the last time my tweeter blew and I think it might have to do with the reference curve offset but not sure. I was using auto eq and it blew halfway while tuning the tweeter alone. Any ideas what could have caused this?

#2 ·
Recommend you get a 47 microfarad capacitor to protect the tweeter from unintended frequencies. Then regardless of any accidental signals from the DSP/amp, your tweeter will be protected. Put it inline on the positive side of the tweeter.

#4 ·
I have the helix p six dsp so I know what you’re talking about. Yes, I think it’s definitely possible when using auto-EQ to set the target too high relative to your measurement offset and blow something. (The helix even puts up a warning message about this possibility when doing auto-EQ)

I agree with the prior post on the capacitor to protect the tweeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Too low crossover ....

Or going past rated power.

If your boosting in eq under 5k that could be a big issue.

Don’t feel bad my co worker blew one of my tweeters yesterday. They were listening to some garbage music really loudly and one just went pop

That’s one thing I hate about using tweeters vs compression drivers.

#10 ·
I've have blown a speaker once before and it smelled like an electronic burn. This time it had no smell or sound. In the middle of running a rta sweep the tweeter just stopped working. The high pass crossover was set twice the given fs level. Factory fs is 1500 so I set it to 3000. I have the low pass bypassed altogether.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.