DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Camaro 2SS
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning my system for a 2021 Camaro (Bose) and looking for advice on DSP.
The car requires the Zen OEM integration device which has both RCA and TOSLINK outputs.

My original choice was the miniDSP 6X8, which I've used in my previous install and had excellent results with.
However, it does not support the TOSLINK connection.

The miniDSP C-DSP8X12 does have the TOSLINK but it's almost twice as expensive.
My other option is the AudioControl 810 which does have TOSLINK input but I have no experience with at all and cost almost 3 times as much.

Is the digital input worth the extra cost? or will running the miniDSP 6X8 with RCAs be just as good?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I personally like the TOSLink connection (mine goes from a PAC AmpPro 4 to a Helix DSP.3). It basically eliminates the possibility of interference-related noise issues that you can potentially run into with RCAs - and it also allows you to connect everything via a single, rather thin cable instead of the more bulky RCAs.

However, there are some that say that an optical connection is not significantly better than analog RCA's too... Also, you will lose head-unit fade control with an optical connection (only provides 2-channel audio output).

Personally, if you want to go with an optical connection, I'd go with a Helix DSP.3 in your case, but not sure if that is within your budget constraints. I would avoid the AudioControl - have not heard great things about it. Helix is what I consider the defacto "Standard" in DSPs - it has an extremely flexible EQ section, which includes Allpass filter functionality, as well as some cool "FX" features like Augmented Bass Processing which automatically boosts the bass at lower volumes so that you always have balanced bass output, regardless of the volume level. Helix provides just about anything you could ever ask for in a DSP, in a very well designed interface.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Agree with jtrosky. Avoid the Audiocontrol (I found it very buggy). I have a helix now and it’s great. I will add that many like the mini dsp you mention (the 8x12) which I believe can be upgraded at some point to add Dirac capabilities (which is pretty nice I hear).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I personally like the TOSLink connection (mine goes from a PAC AmpPro 4 to a Helix DSP.3). It basically eliminates the possibility of interference-related noise issues that you can potentially run into with RCAs - and it also allows you to connect everything via a single, rather thin cable instead of the more bulky RCAs.

However, there are some that say that an optical connection is not significantly better than analog RCA's too... Also, you will lose head-unit fade control with an optical connection (only provides 2-channel audio output).

Personally, if you want to go with an optical connection, I'd go with a Helix DSP.3 in your case, but not sure if that is within your budget constraints. I would avoid the AudioControl - have not heard great things about it. Helix is what I consider the defacto "Standard" in DSPs - it has an extremely flexible EQ section, which includes Allpass filter functionality, as well as some cool "FX" features like Augmented Bass Processing which automatically boosts the bass at lower volumes so that you always have balanced bass output, regardless of the volume level. Helix provides just about anything you could ever ask for in a DSP, in a very well designed interface.

Just my two cents.
Yeah my vote for the Dsp.3 too, which I yet have to buy, (but no hurry bc I am still in planning/fabricating phase).
But how does the Augmented Bass do in reality. I have a simular thing in a different car I have but dont like it, because it adds too much bass...
Can u turn it off? Or does it work very well?...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yeah my vote for the Dsp.3 too, which I yet have to buy, (but no hurry bc I am still in planning/fabricating phase).
But how does the Augmented Bass do in reality. I have a simular thing in a different car I have but dont like it, because it adds too much bass...
Can u turn it off? Or does it work very well?...
It works extremely well. Yes, you can turn in off - and it's also configurable. You can let the Helix pick the boost frequency (based off the HP filter, I think) or you can set the frequency manually - and you can also set the "gain" level - 0dB, 3dB, 6dB or 9dB. Since I only have an under-seat self-powered sub, I set it to 35hz in order to boost the lower end of the under-seat sub a little and have it set to 3dB. It works wonders with my setup. I also use their "SubXpander", but not sure how much that really does for my setup - I think that may be more beneficial for a "real" sub.

But it's nice that when I'm using lower volumes, the bass is still very present and the system doesn't sound "thin" at lower volumes. It also boosts at higher volumes too, just not as much. I love it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It works extremely well. Yes, you can turn in off - and it's also configurable. You can let the Helix pick the boost frequency (based off the HP filter, I think) or you can set the frequency manually - and you can also set the "gain" level - 0dB, 3dB, 6dB or 9dB. Since I only have an under-seat self-powered sub, I set it to 35hz in order to boost the lower end of the under-seat sub a little and have it set to 3dB. It works wonders with my setup. I also use their "SubXpander", but not sure how much that really does for my setup - I think that may be more beneficial for a "real" sub.

But it's nice that when I'm using lower volumes, the bass is still very present and the system doesn't sound "thin" at lower volumes. It also boosts at higher volumes too, just not as much. I love it.
Cool! Thanks, looks like a good feature indeed. 👍

Actually I was also looking at the latest Zapco Dsp (with about the same price, forgot the exact modelnr) and I believe the software is a bit more easy.... Soundwise about the same, but you can do more with the dsp.3, if I am correct.... right?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Cool! Thanks, looks like a good feature indeed.

Actually I was also looking at the latest Zapco Dsp (with about the same price, forgot the exact modelnr) and I believe the software is a bit more easy.... Soundwise about the same, but you can do more with the dsp.3, if I am correct.... right?
I've never used a Zapco DSP personally, but again, if you look around the forum, you'll notice that Helix is the "gold standard" when it comes to DSPs. I mean they all do the same general things, but the Helix software is simply the best out there. It gives you more flexibility than any other software I've seen. It also seems to be the most stable. It just works. It also has features like a built-in RTA, auto-EQ, built-in input signal analyzer, the FX functions, allpass filters, you can do differential rear-fill with it, etc...

The only "bad" thing about Helix (IMO) is the sales model, where you can't just go on-line and buy the damn thing, like you can with Zapco, MiniDSP, etc. You can only buy from a brick-and-mortar store or from another country (but then you run into potential warranty/support issues).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Okay well thats good to hear, sounds like a winner to me... 👍
I'll get one... (Dsp.3) just not sure about which options I should take... it increases the price but some u just need, like the controller...

Its a petty that u cant buy them online... I believe we can in my country. On the other hand; its better (for the product and Helix name) if the consumer isnt capable of tuning that he must have it done by the seller. Asuming he had sufficient training!...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Oh - one more thing (that also adds to cost!) - I'd highly recommend getting the Helix wifi adapter! It allows you to have full tuning capabilities over wifi. Works perfectly. So nice not messing with long USB cables....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dont understand why the AudioControl DM-810 doesnt get more love on this forum :( i was really happy with mine, supper easy to tune with and the BT app works great for: tuning without USB; streaming from phone and as a Master/Sub control. Only real downside for me was as my system design and plans started to evolve the $400 DM-810 no long meet my needs and had to jump up to a DSP Ultra with my channels and Center Up mixer

·
Registered
18,651 Posts
I dont understand why the AudioControl DM-810 doesnt get more love on this forum :(
Because its genuinely a piece of ****. Every time I had been unfortunate enough to have to tune one, its nothing but bugs, headaches, and super limited software from a piece of hardware that costs way more than it offers, even on paper. I refuse to work with them at this point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mauian

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats clear language...

How about the Dayton dsp 408?
And also soundwise? Hard to say maybe, but is it 50% in SQ compared to a Dsp.3? Or not even 25%?
(Maybe I'll change those eventually when I have a newer daily driver, so more SQ comes in the DD. Or better get a cheaper Helix than).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh - one more thing (that also adds to cost!) - I'd highly recommend getting the Helix wifi adapter! It allows you to have full tuning capabilities over wifi. Works perfectly. So nice not messing with long USB cables....
I thought when u have the Helix Director, that it has Usb in it. So when u sit in front, its just a small usb cable to the laptop...

And how is the Bluetooth Hec adaptor soundwise? The same or a little less when connecting a Dap or phone via cable??
I bought a Focal Aptx for home some yrs ago but that really sounds like crap!...
Cable is so much better...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont understand why the AudioControl DM-810 doesnt get more love on this forum :( i was really happy with mine, supper easy to tune with and the BT app works great for: tuning without USB; streaming from phone and as a Master/Sub control. Only real downside for me was as my system design and plans started to evolve the $400 DM-810 no long meet my needs and had to jump up to a DSP Ultra with my channels and Center Up mixer
So you mean the Helix dsp Ultra, thats a serious machine... how was that upgrade soundwise? And what do you like and dont you like about it.
Did u tune it yourself?
I am curious....

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
And also soundwise? Hard to say maybe, but is it 50% in SQ compared to a Dsp.3? Or not even 25%?
% of what?

Ideally one could measure how good it is doing something, which infers that we know what all it is doing or not doing.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I thought when u have the Helix Director, that it has Usb in it. So when u sit in front, its just a small usb cable to the laptop...

And how is the Bluetooth Hec adaptor soundwise? The same or a little less when connecting a Dap or phone via cable??
I bought a Focal Aptx for home some yrs ago but that really sounds like crap!...
Cable is so much better...
You are absolutely correct - forgot you were getting a director. Can't even use the wifi adapter and the director at the same time - it's one or the other. Glad you caught that before wifi was purchased! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
% of what?

Ideally one could measure how good it is doing something, which infers that we know what all it is doing or not doing.
What I meant was strictly looking at sound quality... is it half as good as the Helix? Or even less, and dont consider one....

I realise it is a VERY vague thing I ask, but it is pure for my indication. So I can take it of my list or still consider purchasing the Dayton as well.

So lets say you bought better speakers... or cables. Or even better you have a few pair to listen to.
Some thoughts may arise (when hooked up, and listened for some time) dammn this is a Huge upgrade; its at least double as good as the old speakers /cables I had.... and a little better than .....

Again it is a vague way of describing...

But I can recall an Audiocontrol crossover and EQT in my oldskool period and ppl were enthousiastic about them. When I installed them I was pretty dissapointed.... it didnt even sound half as good (!! Maybe more a 25%) as the custom passive crossover I made with high end caps and coils. (It made sense because the parts inside the Audiocontrol were very low end... and it sounded that way)...

So I guess I have the answer already...
Exept the Dayton dsp is digital and its 18 years later meanwhile....

Maybe consider a mini dsp than... for my second car...

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are absolutely correct - forgot you were getting a director. Can't even use the wifi adapter and the director at the same time - it's one or the other. Glad you caught that before wifi was purchased! :)
Yeah I think the Director is pricey but money well spend. Looking at the things u can do with it... like subwoofer output adjusting, tracks, presets, and so..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts