DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
This is subject that takes a while to work out.

If you are just doing:
  • some TA
  • some amplitude EQ
  • some crossover
...then the Dayton is fine.

But one can argue other DSPs are better, and the interface and auto tuning etc make them better, along with sometimes the extra SQ work that they can do.
If you want:
  • phase EQ
  • impulse EQ
... then you need a different DSP.

How these translate into % is dependent on how much one needs those things.

Reactions: Don Camillo

·
Registered
42 Posts
So you mean the Helix dsp Ultra, thats a serious machine... how was that upgrade soundwise? And what do you like and dont you like about it.
Did u tune it yourself?
I am curious....
I'll be very honest about my experience between the two. The AudioControl was a great 'starter' in the world of DSP's for me, but it is not even close to what the Helix is in terms of performance and sound. They are not even the same species :) The DM-810 was a fun BASIC unit that allowed 10 channels of output and was flexible enough to do most things like Time Alignment, Limited Crossover, Okay Input/Output EQ`ing per channel. I had no problems with the software, setting it up or using it on a daily basis. But.... I only rant that unit for 3-4 weeks before upgrading to the Helix (because of this forum) and i have not once regretted it. It was costly and the software learning curve was steep at first and there are some minor annoyances i have with it. But again the DM & Helix are about as similar as a Walmart BMX bicycle and a Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is subject that takes a while to work out.

If you are just doing:
  • some TA
  • some amplitude EQ
  • some crossover
...then the Dayton is fine.

But one can argue other DSPs are better, and the interface and auto tuning etc make them better, along with sometimes the extra SQ work that they can do.
If you want:
  • phase EQ
  • impulse EQ
... then you need a different DSP.

How these translate into % is dependent on how much one needs those things.
Thanks, yeah that makes sense...
But what I meant in % was strictly the sound -Quality-
So how natural the sound is comming through, and than going to the amps/speakers.
Everything you add takes SQ away, less is more... I am not talking about better TA, interface, and so... strictly the SQ.

Like with passive xo parts, a cheap 5,- cap sounds like crapp compared to a 300,- capacitor...
Or have no xo parts in (a linear) fullrange unit and it sounds the purest.

Of course tuning a cheap passive or cheap dsp correct, compared to expensive ones incorrectly, sounds "better" looking at TA, EQ and so on...

In comparing one should have both set up correct... (or all flat with a fullrange unit) and than hear difference in "insert here all the pallet of wonderful words used by audiophiles to describe difference in sound quality" 😄😉 which I for ease describe as SQ.

Every unit (dsp, HU, amp, cables) sounds different, its not just speakers who do...

·
Registered
160 Posts
So how natural the sound is comming through, and than going to the amps/speakers.
Everything you add takes SQ away, less is more... I am not talking about better TA, interface, and so... strictly the SQ.

Like with passive xo parts, a cheap 5,- cap sounds like crapp compared to a 300,- capacitor...

Of course tuning a cheap passive or cheap dsp correct, compared to expensive ones incorrectly, sounds "better" looking at TA, EQ and so on...

In comparing one should have both set up correct... (or all flat with a fullrange unit) and than hear difference in "insert here all the pallet of wonderful words used by audiophiles to describe difference in sound quality" 😄😉 which I for ease describe as SQ.

Every unit (dsp, HU, amp, cables) sounds different, its not just speakers who do...
Great!!... that was what I was hoping for... and expected tbh...
Soundwise (sq) the dsp.3 is also very good (with same dacs inside and so) so now I am definately going to buy one!!.... 👍👌
The learning curve is a thing indeed.. but I am very interested in that part and like tuning, so I hope its not a big problem...
And luckily we have diyma... 😊

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts

If one could measure the sound of the $5 cap versus the $300 I might believe them. Most of audio is magic and psychological, so it is emotionally laden.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If one could measure the sound of the $5 cap versus the $300 I might believe them. Most of audio is magic and psychological, so it is emotionally laden.
Oh you are a non believer 😄 Thats okay, no problem...
Its an endless discussion in many Forums.
I could easily let you hear the difference and in a few minutes you are a believer too. Without seeing measurements. Not everything is seen on a graph, especially not how it sounds...
Differences arent small either. Even resistors sound different. Its not mumba jumba high end talk. Its just a fact. But if you arent open in your judgement because of your own believes than I can imagine its hard to hear. If u are open and without prejiduces u will see it for yourself.

Its true that ppl can be fooled easily and some want to hear diffrences to justify their expensive purchases... you are right about that.

Thats why you leave that part out and strictly focus on what you hear.
But I found out there is a lot of difference in peoples hearing.
Its not easy. In the decades of listening to many Top High End home sets my hearing also improved... (but actually was pretty good already when I started).

Oh btw I am not trying to be a smart ass... but its just what I found out over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Oh you are a non believer 😄 Thats okay, no problem...
Its an endless discussion in many Forums.
I could easily let you hear the difference and in a few minutes you are a believer too. Without seeing measurements. Not everything is seen on a graph, especially not how it sounds...
Differences arent small either. Even resistors sound different. Its not mumba jumba high end talk. Its just a fact. But if you arent open in your judgement because of your own believes than I can imagine its hard to hear. If u are open and without prejiduces u will see it for yourself.

Its true that ppl can be fooled easily and some want to hear diffrences to justify their expensive purchases... you are right about that.

Thats why you leave that part out and strictly focus on what you hear.
But I found out there is a lot of difference in peoples hearing.
Its not easy. In the decades of listening to many Top High End home sets my hearing also improved... (but actually was pretty good already when I started).

Oh btw I am not trying to be a smart ass... but its just what I found out over the years.
In spite of all ^That^ Not all DSPs do the same things, and one can actually get graphs out of some of them, and also compare graphically how they differ.
Maybe a Dayton is 85%?

The next 15% is another $500-€1500, or more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In spite of all ^That^ Not all DSPs do the same things, and one can actually get graphs out of some of them, and also compare graphically how they differ.
Maybe a Dayton is 85%?

The next 15% is another $500-€1500, or more.
Yeah differences in what u can do with it also is worth the money...

I am going for the Dsp.3 and maybe later buy a Dayton to try the difference or a cheaper Helix or Minidsp....

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Yeah differences in what u can do with it also is worth the money...

I am going for the Dsp.3 and maybe later buy a Dayton to try the difference or a cheaper Helix or Minidsp....
One can also infer a lot from the specs, manuals, and architecture...
(The architecture is a big one.)

Reactions: Don Camillo
21 - 29 of 29 Posts