DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Helix Mini DSP with 6 channels. My thought was running 2way active upfront using 4 channels. Then using the other 2 for subs and running passive in the rear. I’m using the Navtv Zen that outputs 12 flat channels. So I was planning on running 2 channels to the helix and another 2 to the amp running the passives. The person who I planned on helping me with the tune said this won’t work. Has anyone done anything like this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you going to amplify the rear channel or run them off the Navtv Zen power if it has an internal amp? Are you saying the Zen has 12 channels of RCA outputs? There should be no problem using one set of RCAs from the Zen to your DSP and another RCA or internal power to rear speakers.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
You won’t be able to delay the rear speakers, and for rear speakers to be helpful you really want to delay them heavily.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 Rss265-44HO Rockford DSR-1 Fountek FR88 RS180-4
59 Posts
First thing I did when I went active was sell my ID coaxials in the rear doors. Someone smarter may correct me but proper rear fill requires extensive processing including things like summing both channels left and right signals and subtracting from the opposite sides.
Now, what might be a decent idea, maybe, is time aligning the rear set and using no delay on the sub. I’d take the ability to equalize and fully process the sub stage and focus on the stage up front over a rear fullrange signal any day of the year.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You won’t be able to delay the rear speakers, and for rear speakers to be helpful you really want to delay them heavily.
You have 6 channels so 4 of them go to 2 way active, the 5th for sub, so that leaves one unused channel. You can still use it for rear fill. Sum L-R and flip the polarity on one of the rear fill speakers. You can still time delay but as a pair - not individually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have 6 channels so 4 of them go to 2 way active, the 5th for sub, so that leaves one unused channel. You can still use it for rear fill. Sum L-R and flip the polarity on one of the rear fill speakers. You can still time delay but as a pair - not individually.
Thanks for your help. I’m trying to avoid having to return things and spend more money. Is there an option in the Dsp software to sum the two into one? Then would I just take the 1 channel off the dsp and split it into two for the amp channels? Then on one of the speakers I go positive to negative and negative to positive? I know enough to be dangerous and that’s about it. Lol

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
View attachment 278713
Does this help? And yes that’s the way I would wire it.
Exactly how I do it. Also, set the time delay slider for the rear fill to maximum.

Does the Mini DSP support Virtual channels? If so, set up a rear fill virtual channel and maximize its delay as well.

Ge0

Reactions: DaveG
1 - 9 of 9 Posts