DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
That is an op amp for the RCA outputs.. so whatever happened I am assuming it was directly related to you plugging and/or unplugging the RCA output from the DSP.

I had no idea it could damage it if you did this while in use.. i am assuming one part of the RCA disconnected faster than the other.. or the positive center touched the negative outside of the RCA.. something.. that something I am not sure but i do know thats an OP1678 its the same output op amps as my helix DSP ultra.. which is pretty cool im surprised the mini uses that nice of op amps.. they are from the same family as the burr brown ones from texas instruments and one of the nicest fet op amps you can get.

the one to the left im guessing thats a 4 channel (quad) op amp "OP1679" and then the one you blew is the two channel op amp "OP1678"..

so I am guessing only four out of six RCA output channels are working.. but i would not even operate it in its current state.. it could cause more damage if something is shorted.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The rcas plug touching the barrel is entirely possible as I'm thinking about how it happened, I wasn't very careful in unplugging and just kinds yanked them out

I'm glad for the info you provided, assuming if that's the only thing damaged it could be repaired? I looked around the board and that's the only thing I saw burnt, no other caps and such looked bad
It can probably be repaired... you need experience and a good hot air rework station to desolder and solder surface mount components like that.. so definitely do not try doing it yourself..

there are some guys who upgrade the op amps on the helix DSPs (i cant remember who) you might be able to get one of them to swap it out but i don't know if it took out any of the components around it too...

i think the best idea would be to send it back to audiotech fischer or msc the american distributor for helix. they will send it to Germany.. although international shipping is not super cheap.. it could be cheaper to reach out to some people in the US that do repairs and see what they say.. I don't know any off the top of my head but i know I've heard of people on facebook and here talking about a few different people that do repairs on amps, or op amp upgrades on dsp's.. so one of those people might be able to swap it for you (granted the surrounding components are not also damaged... i think that is a resistor below it and it looks a little toasty.. if that is a resistor the numbers on it look to be the same as the ones to the left of it.. you can test its value and compare it against the one to the left.. to see if its still goood..

i circled the two i am talking about.. you can test them with a basic multimeter on the ohms setting

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Microcontroller Electronic engineering

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thats the one, literally less than a couple weeks with it
Hey if that's the one then you should be good to go.. squaretrade should pay out, I have used it before. Just read ALL of the terms and conditions before even contacting them.. i do not know if the warranty is transferable, so check that in the terms or ask them before making a claim. if it is not transferable have the guy you bought it from make a claim.. i can almost assure you that the square trade route will be cheaper than sending it back to ATF since square trade normally pays for shipping.. and in most cases like this where they don't have the capability to repair it they will normally just pay out cash for it granted you do not violate the terms and conditions of the contract... if its just a regular warranty and not accidental coverage i would shy away from saying anything about plugging or unplugging the RCAS..

you or the original purchaser should contact square trade (after reading the terms very thoroughly)

they will send you a shipping label and have you send it back to one of their "repair centers" to evaluate it

what this really means is they are probably sending it to their facility where an insurance adjuster glances at it to see if they can fix it for cheaper than the payout amount is.. in this case they will not have the capability of fixing it if I had to guess.

they will probably ask you a bunch of questions, and should cut you a check for the amount of the original purchase price.

what they will definitely ask you is if there is a manufacturers warranty.. because the square trade warranty is only good if the manufacturers warranty will not cover it.. in this case it will not because helix only gives a warranty if you buy from an authorized dealer in the united states.. So you might be able to send it back to the guy in Europe that sells them on eBay.. but I doubt square trade would be ok with sending it to anybody other than the OEM manufacturer unless its one of their "authorized repair centers" .. so if you get an email from audiotech fischer or MSC (american dealer for helix) saying "no there is no manufacturers warranty because you bought it of ebay" then you should be able to use the square trade warranty.. but once again, I would probably leave that part out unless asked about it... i would simply tell square trade there is "no manufacturers warranty because the manufacturer is in germany" and they can check that themselves if they really want to. worst case audiotec fischer will accept it and make you pay for repair since it does not have a manufacturers warranty in which case square trade is supposed to pay for shipping and the repair (good news for you since international shipping is insanely expensive)

square trade advertises their warranty on eBay when you buy an item listed as "brand new" so they should honor that warranty since that warranty was bought in conjunction with that product as an add on with the sole purpose of being used for that item purchased on ebay. so there is no way they can say "oh its not valid because there is no manufacturers warranty." They can only burn you if you violate the terms somehow and that's why you want to read them very well.. but like i said, i would leave that on a "need to know basis" (regarding ebay not being an authorized dealer)

anyways.. this is just based off my experience which was also something i bought on ebay and used square trade.... but yours may vary.. but i suspect after a few questions and back and forth they should cut you a check.. (just leave out the part about you plugging or unplugging the RCA. adjusters look for reasons to not pay claims and that could be one. you don't want to mention anything about anything being an accident or possibly your fault,.. that's game over for your claim. keep it to the bare minimum of what they require and get your check)

Azure Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I would never have thought hot plugging an RCA would have caused this but it’s almost certainly not a coincidence that the op amp involved in the output RCAs blew while he was messing with the RCAs.

It is definitely for the outputs not the inputs, here is some pics from my DSP Ultra, it has one OP1678 per two channels so six dual op amps for 12 total channels.

i honestly have no idea what would have caused It, maybe it was something the RCA was connected to on the amp, or it got hooked up somewhere it should not have.. but it’s wayyyy too convenient that it’s that exact part that blew… extremely unlikely they are not somehow connected

Passive circuit component Circuit component Light Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts