DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to ID DSP(s) that will work for my project so I know what to watch for in the classifieds (I know I'll not be buying new).

Must Have Requirements:
  • >8-channel high-level speaker input: Center; FR Hi L&R; FR Lo L&R; Rear L&R; Sub
  • >Ability to Sum: [(input 1) + (input 2/180) + (input 3/180)] = output 1 OR [(input 1) - (input 2) - (input 3)] = output 1
  • >8-channel low-level RCA output: Center; FR Hi L&R; FR Lo L&R; Rear L&R; Sub
  • >Usual complement of TA, EQ, and output XO tuning capabilities
(Background reason for some of the requirements is here if interested)

The end-goal is to have:
  • Center = non-music vehicle tones and voices only
  • 2-way active Front Stage
  • Rear Fill
  • Sub
  • tune optimized for driver-only position
The ability to easily 'toggle' to a second tune 'compromised' for two front occupants would be a bonus but is not a 'must have' (if that involves a significant extra expense such as Helix Director I'd probably do without for a long time).

My research indicates the Helix DSP Pro Mk2 with DSP PC-Tool Version 4 will meet all the above requirements. Can anyone confirm that (especially the input 'summing' capability part)?

Will the earlier Helix DSP Pro Mk1 / Helix DSP Pro meet those same requirements?

Any other DSP that can meet all those requirements?

I plan to use with JBL MS-A1004 and MS-A5001 amps I already have in hand if that makes any difference. Gonna miss the upmixed 'true center' of Logic 7 but the MS-8 can't deal with this vehicle's OEM 'tones and voices' scheme so it's out of the picture. It's a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, I will not consider an HU swap.

Thanks In Advance for informed guidance! :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think the new MiniDSP DIRAC 8-12 will do all that, won't it? I don't know, I haven't researched all that in-depth, as I've never cared about center-channel stuff. But I know you can do the signal summing and reassignment and all that.

I'm a pretty big fan of the MiniDSP stuff.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I think the new MiniDSP DIRAC 8-12 will do all that, won't it? I don't know, I haven't researched all that in-depth, as I've never cared about center-channel stuff. But I know you can do the signal summing and reassignment and all that.

No center channel with the 8*12, everything else is there, but no center.

The Alpine H800 I think would be an option though and they pop up in the classifieds now and then.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Thanks for the idea but specs show it only accepts 6 high-level inputs (the "8" includes other input types - optical and RCA).

The Alpine H800 I think would be an option though and they pop up in the classifieds now and then.
Again, only 6-channels on the input side. A shame, I love to use the H800 otherwise.

My OEM amp/DSP (which cannot be bypassed) has 8 discrete output channels (OEM Front outputs are 2-way active), all which need to go into the aftermarket DSP due to the way it distributes vehicle tones and voices among all those channels.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Two Dayton DSP-408s ?... Can get two new for less money than one of the others mentioned used. Just a thought.

·
Registered
17,665 Posts
Helix dsp.3 is what you want. With that center channel you can also use its up mixer for a 2 seat tune

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Helix dsp.3 is what you want. With that center channel you can also use its up mixer for a 2 seat tune
The way I read the DSP.3 specs it 'only' has 6 high-level inputs (+ optical and "remote"). Am I reading that wrong?

·
Registered
17,665 Posts
The way I read the DSP.3 specs it 'only' has 6 high-level inputs (+ optical and "remote"). Am I reading that wrong?
Ah yes, then you need the pro mk2

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah yes, then you need the pro mk2
Would the earlier (and perhaps less expensive if one comes up) DSP Pro ('mk 1') work as well for my purposes?

I'm having trouble finding documentation online for the pre-mk2 Pro, is it compatible with the later Version 4 software?

·
Registered
17,665 Posts
Would the earlier (and perhaps less expensive if one comes up) DSP Pro ('mk 1') work as well for my purposes?

I'm having trouble finding documentation online for the pre-mk2 Pro, is it compatible with the later Version 4 software?
All helix dsp's besides the super old ones are compatible with version 4. I think the first version pro would work for you. My employee actually has one that he is selling too

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All helix dsp's besides the super old ones are compatible with version 4. I think the first version pro would work for you. My employee actually has one that he is selling too
Please see PM sent, thank you.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no "REAL CENTER" with those though, right?
Re: Helix DSP Pro / Pro MK2, that's my understanding, there's no 'upmixed' center algorithm provided to generate a 'True Center' consisting of only the signal present in both front left and right at any instant.

For my purpose that's OK - I'm just hoping to get to a point (using signal summing/cancellation) where my 'Center' is only broadcasting vehicle tones and voices (see the 'background' link in my first post).

·
Registered
17,665 Posts
Only the newest gen Helix offerings that feature ACO hardware will have the FX features like Real Center. anything before the up7, dsp.3, and dsp mini are a no go on those features

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pxa-h800 alpine will work and fits your criteria. It has a navigation voice interupt feature that is triggered with a single wire also if your purpose for center channel is bluetooth calling etc. It is still a current unit in alpines lineup even though it is a 2012 model and dated gui.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pxa-h800 alpine will work and fits your criteria. It has a navigation voice interupt feature that is triggered with a single wire also if your purpose for center channel is bluetooth calling etc. It is still a current unit in alpines lineup even though it is a 2012 model and dated gui.
I've been reading bout that in the H800 documentation. It's not clear to me if that's dependent on the use of an Alpine NAV system and the "KCE-900E Navigation System Interface Box".

Have you any experience / tips using that H800 capability with an OEM Nav system?

·
Registered
266 Posts
It has a mono rca for nav interupt, and a trigger wire that I would assume either goes to ground or gets 12 volts positive when triggered, the nav interupt kce-900e is only for older alpine ainet decks. I can check mine if youd like. I am still using the ina-w910 and pxa-h800 combo, it does not require the kce-900e, so I can find out what the trigger wire needs to see. It would help if I knew specifically what you are trying to accomplish, others, and myself could give you better advice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is there an alpine dealer near you that does installs. Stop in and discuss your needs with them. I am sure they will be able to help you. I have no dog in the fight, just offering another option for you sir.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
…. I have no dog in the fight, just offering another option for you sir.
And I do very much appreciate your advice, I don't mean to 'challenge', I'm just struggling a bit at the limits of my knowledge base and trying to learn from good folks like you. Looking for an Alpine installer for face-to-face info exchange is a good idea, thank you!

It would help if I knew specifically what you are trying to accomplish, others, and myself could give you better advice.
Rather than re-typing, if inclined please see this thread for the background, mentioned in my OP above.

It has a mono rca for nav interupt, and a trigger wire that I would assume either goes to ground or gets 12 volts positive when triggered, the nav interupt kce-900e is only for older alpine ainet decks. I can check mine if youd like. I am still using the ina-w910 and pxa-h800 combo, it does not require the kce-900e, so I can find out what the trigger wire needs to see.
That's helpful, thank you. In my case I believe I've found an analog feed from the OEM HU/NAV unit to the OEM amp/DSP that carries the NAV voices/prompts (I'm using the full detailed system wiring diagrams / connector pin assignments to correlate to the figure below). I do not find anything to 'trigger' the silencing of music when that or things like phone use occurs, that seems to be managed internal to the amp/DSP, perhaps relying on Honda Proprietary communication links between the HU and amp/DSP.

So at this point I'm not sure I can utilize the H800 capabilities to my benefit, but not giving up on the project you've certainly given me more to study which I appreciate.

I don't expect to be able to 'fully resolve' all the challenges of this project 'on paper' but hope to at least get confidence that whatever DSP I buy it'll let me eventually get to the desired end goal. I'd love to be able to buy several units and jump directly into definitive experimentation with each but that's not possible for me.

Again, I do appreciate everyone's contributions here - I respect the time y'all are giving me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts