DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running an active 3-way set up, using my JVC V420 (which has Network mode for High/Mid/Low output instead of Front/Rear/Sub) sending signal to a HD900/5

I picked up an Excelon DMX7706S to replace the JVC, but it does not have the same Network capability, so I will need a DSP. I was looking at the Helix miniDSP, but would I also need a Director? How often do people change EQ settings? Maybe another DSP would work better for me?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not sure about other folks here... but once I get my EQ settings dialed-in; I never touch them again.
I've owned a number of DSP's, including a few Helix ones, and have never owned a Director.
Just my 2 cents...

Now, I am wondering how you are running a 3-way active (plus sub) off an HD 900/5.
If your plan is to do this, then you will need a DSP with 2 more output channels (mini only has 6).
The DSP.3 is probably a better overall unit to consider. Just gives more flexibility.
You will also need 2 more amplification channels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’d recommend the director for two reasons. Sub volume and disabling the system when someone I don’t know is driving my car (valet, dealership, etc)

·
Registered
405 Posts
WIth the DSP.3 and/or DSP Mini (any Helix with the ACO platform), you can add a Helix wifi adapter and use an Android app to switch profiles (can have up to 10 profiles loaded on the DSP unit itself and switch between them instantly with the Android app). Basically, the wifi adapter does everything the Director does - maybe even a few extra things.

You would lose the convenience of a physical sub level control, but you can also do that with a simple URC.3 instead of a director, which is very inexpensive (director is pretty expensive and you need a proper place to mount it). To me, a wifi adapter and urc.3 combination is the best way to go. Plus, then you can also tune the Helix without needing a USB connection, which is nice. Or - you could even use a sub level control that is connected directly to the sub instead and not even need a URC.3.

The Helix wifi adapter is awesome - I'd highly recommend it.

·
Listener of Music
2,933 Posts
Minidsp 6x8 or Dayton 408 are lowrt cost alternatives. Helix makes great dsp products but I've haven't found a reason to double my cost for comparative Helix models over Minidsp.

The Dayton itself will be better than network mode. Solid unit for the price.

I've installed the Dayton for others and been very happy.

I use 3 different Minidsp products in my vehicles for a reason. (2x4, 6x8, 8x12 v2)

·
Listener of Music
2,933 Posts
Let me add you want the remote for reasons already stated. I rarely change tunes but sub control and disabling other people's wandering fingers is reason enough. Minidsp comes with one, Dayton remote is only $20.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WIth the DSP.3 and/or DSP Mini (any Helix with the ACO platform), you can add a Helix wifi adapter and use an Android app to switch profiles (can have up to 10 profiles loaded on the DSP unit itself and switch between them instantly with the Android app). Basically, the wifi adapter does everything the Director does - maybe even a few extra things.

You would lose the convenience of a physical sub level control, but you can also do that with a simple URC.3 instead of a director, which is very inexpensive (director is pretty expensive and you need a proper place to mount it). To me, a wifi adapter and urc.3 combination is the best way to go. Plus, then you can also tune the Helix without needing a USB connection, which is nice. Or - you could even use a sub level control that is connected directly to the sub instead and not even need a URC.3.

The Helix wifi adapter is awesome - I'd highly recommend it.
Do you mean Bluetooth adapter? I wouldn't want to have to control through an Access Point since I travel with a hotspot sometimes and then I would have to disconnect from the hotspot and connect to the DSP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Minidsp 6x8 or Dayton 408 are lowrt cost alternatives. Helix makes great dsp products but I've haven't found a reason to double my cost for comparative Helix models over Minidsp.

The Dayton itself will be better than network mode. Solid unit for the price.

I've installed the Dayton for others and been very happy.

I use 3 different Minidsp products in my vehicles for a reason. (2x4, 6x8, 8x12 v2)
Thanks for the 408 mention, the price and size are definitely favorable!

What are some notable differences between the Dayton and Minidsp 6x8 in your experience?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do you mean Bluetooth adapter? I wouldn't want to have to control through an Access Point since I travel with a hotspot sometimes and then I would have to disconnect from the hotspot and connect to the DSP
No - Helix sells a wifi adapter for their DSP's. It allows for both wireless tuning (instead of needing a long USB cable between laptop and DSP for tuning) and gives you the opportunity to use an Andrioid/Apple app which mimics all Helix Director functionality from your phone instead of needing a Director. So you can switch between 10 different tunes instantly via the app (as well as other functions such as volume levels, bass/treble adjustments, etc).

The Helix wifi adapter allows you to configure it to act as it's own AP or to act as a wifi client - so you can set it up however you'd like. I set mine up to act as a wifi AP and then I just connect to that AP via my laptops wifi for tuning. I find the Helix wifi adapter to be an awesome device.

The Helix DSP's are VERY fully-featured and their software is the most powerful I've seen. The newer DSP's also offer cool features such as "Augmented Bass Processing" which can substantially increase bass quality and levels (can even auto-adjust the sub level depending on music volume, which is really nice).

I came from an inexpensive DSP (Rockford Fosgate DSR-1) and the Helix is just so much better - both spec-wise and feature-wise. I consider Helix to be the "gold standard" for DSP's. Only other DSP I'd put in the same category is the MiniDSP 6to8v2 DL (DiracLive version) since DiracLive "auto-tuning" is supposed to be top notch. Besides number of input/output channels, you also have to consider number of parametric bands per channel (less expensive DSP's only have 10 bands per channel compared to 31-bands-per-channel with Helix, as well as relative band adjustments for multiple channels, allpass filters, shelf filters, resolution, input EQ, very good sound quality specs such as SNR, harmonic distortion, output voltage levels, etc).... Trust me, there is a significant difference between DSPs! To me, the DSP is one of the most important parts of a modern system - something it's best not to "skimp" on.

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
You can put me in the camp of directors/controllers being unnecessary. While I do have a simple URC.3 now for my Helix DSP.2, I went for years across two different processors with no controller. Many people point to the need for subwoofer level control, but if you already have an aftermarket head unit you can use sub level control there. I don't really think sub level control is necessary either, but some people prefer to exagerate bass output or boost the low end on songs lacking bass.

And while I do have the URC.3 now, I rarely use it. I have it configured for volume control, subwoofer level control and switching between two presets. I have NEVER used the subwoofer or volume control on the URC.3 and only use the preset switch when tuning or comparing tunes. It is so rare that I use the controller that I have it installed in my ash tray.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I love having the URC.3 just for the reasons RTon20's stated. I do adjust sub levels when I'm listening to old R&B from the 60's & 70's, but I also use a second tune that turns off T/A, L&R EQ, and a few other minor adjustments for when I have a passenger that wants to enjoy the music too on long rides. Of course a newer helix with center would help with that, but I'm not ready to invest in that type of setup yet. My old Helix DSP works fine as is and the URC.3 is the best addition made so far. No need for a Director here.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts