DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
268 Posts
I’m also a home audio guy and love to see people push the envelope. I’m currently running 2 DSP’s mostly due to laziness. I upgraded from 2-way to 3-way using built in dsp amp channels for highs and mids then daisy chain to a second dsp for the mid bass and sub. Honestly I thought it would be more challenging but was not that bad.
What solutions are available that could process newer codecs like Atmos or DTS:X. HDMI audio quickly gets brutal and expensive when processing down to an active DSP level. We do it far more often in the home theater world over the last 4-5 years. I’ve pondered throwing a couple Pro Audio Technology ALC-3316 9-channel DSP processor amps in to run an active surround system in a vehicle. Maybe in a couple years when the secondary market shows up. Throwing speakers in the B & C pillars may be a thing one day. That takes care of 9 or 13 channels passive only 51 more locations to find. On the bright side at least the current media streamers are small enough to easily drop into a vehicle.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I’m also a home audio guy and love to see people push the envelope. I’m currently running 2 DSP’s mostly due to laziness. I upgraded from 2-way to 3-way using built in dsp amp channels for highs and mids then daisy chain to a second dsp for the mid bass and sub. Honestly I thought it would be more challenging but was not that bad.
What solutions are available that could process newer codecs like Atmos or DTS:X. HDMI audio quickly gets brutal and expensive when processing down to an active DSP level. We do it far more often in the home theater world over the last 4-5 years. I’ve pondered throwing a couple Pro Audio Technology ALC-3316 9-channel DSP processor amps in to run an active surround system in a vehicle. Maybe in a couple years when the secondary market shows up. Throwing speakers in the B & C pillars may be a thing one day. That takes care of 9 or 13 channels passive only 51 more locations to find. On the bright side at least the current media streamers are small enough to easily drop into a vehicle.

Keep us posted.
man if you could pull it off without the inverted noise that would be so sick

you would have to find the DC voltages at the transformer… it probably has two or three different wraps on the same transformer for different voltages

if you could Dc To DC direct into an amp like that…. Or hell , gut it for the dsp and try and get an i2s feed or AES feed , that would be really cool , then into a dsp…..

Seems a lot of real estate for big bulky parts….

someone needs to make a Atmos dsp

I can see minidsp being the 1st , there’s buzz on there forums about it

·
Registered
602 Posts
If/when minidsp makes a Atmos DSP, I'm buying one !

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Keep us posted.
Like your style, opinion! I think things can be done in the home audio world that would justify being done in the auto world! It's all electronics and the same type of physics involved for both so why not incorporate both instead of one being only designed for dc/auto world and one for ac/home world? I think that's where a lot of the time it's just the thinking of staying inside the box, or at least that's what it seems like anyways that convinces people of the idea of of it being impossible only one thing can work and that's that!!! just my opinion on what I've read and conversations that I've seen happen is what I'm basing my opinion on. Hope there isn't hard feelings towards anyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
man if you could pull it off without the inverted noise that would be so sick

you would have to find the DC voltages at the transformer… it probably has two or three different wraps on the same transformer for different voltages

if you could Dc To DC direct into an amp like that…. Or hell , gut it for the dsp and try and get an i2s feed or AES feed , that would be really cool , then into a dsp…..

Seems a lot of real estate for big bulky parts….

someone needs to make a Atmos dsp

I can see minidsp being the 1st , there’s buzz on there forums about it
That's the kind of thinking I'm talking about!!! If there's a will there's a way!

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
There is a cheap 39$ 5.1 decoder on eBay that works …..mmmm just okay

It comes with a cd to do effects (meh)

if I was to do surround I would have to have fully integrated dsp upmixer all done in one box

minidsp to the rescue please

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
268 Posts
The only products I've ran into that would be interesting are from Trinov and Datasat (18-48 channels). Not cheap by any means but robust. These only enter the equation with budgets exceeding $250K.

Product Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

21 - 28 of 28 Posts