DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run only two channels of a four channel amp without hurting it? I don't want to bridge or anything...just use two of four, the other two not used at all. ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
It can be done. Just do not connect anything to the unused channels, speaker wires or RCAs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am not sure but was reading one of the amp manual this is what it states:

".............The amplifier is stereo, offering two separate
channels of amplification. If you wish to use only one of its channels, it is necessary to: 1)
Make sure a speaker (or load resistor) remains connected to a speaker jack on both
channels, including the unused one; or 2) Turn the Level control of the unused channel to
zero. (This is necessary because an amplifier channel receiving any amount of signal at its
input will require a "load" at its output - or else damage will most likely result.)..........."

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...I CAN BRIDGE THEM, but don't want to. Too much power and THD goes up as well...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bridge them and turn the gain down more. That will make the amp work less, keep it cooler, and alleviate any worries about mess up the amp by not running a load.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
thd goes from what .01 to .02 percent?
TWICE the distortion!!! :surprised:

OP I've been using only 2 channels of mine for a couple months now. No inputs, no load, no problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thd goes from what .01 to .02 percent?
.08% up to .3%, not terrible, but more than I'd like. But it's 100w into tweeters, and my midbass are getting about the same (120w). I don't know if I can turn the gain down low enough.

It's either that or run the tweets off the ms-8, at 18w.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eliminating the Alpine. Gonna use the MS-8 to run the tweets. It was a space, not technical, issue in the end...I just couldn't fit all three where I wanted to put them. I think 18w will be enough for the tweets @3500hz/24db.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts