DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I feel really stupid asking this question but I can't figure out why every amp installation kit out there seems to include one Butt Connector. What is the purpose of this item in these kits?

The only thing I could come up with was for the remote wire to wire into the head unit harness. However, wouldn't you want to splice into that wire, not butt join?

Thanks for tolerating my silly question.

Chappy

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
if done properly a butt connector works fine. i just seal them up with some heat shrink after.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the remote wire doesn't need to remain into the back of the radio at all? Just straight from the harness to the butt connecter and then on to the remote wire?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think your doin something wierd. You take the blue amp turn on lead on the headunit power harness (not the power antenna) which comes as a stripped lead, and you splice that and your nice piece of amp turn on wire that came in your amp wire kit together with the butt connector. If your car requires that you send an amp turn on signal to a factory amp or a pacs piece, twist your new amp turn on wire and the wire running to the factory amp or interface device together, stick both in one end of your butt conector, put the amp turn on lead from the headunit in the other, and your set.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
So the remote wire doesn't need to remain into the back of the radio at all? Just straight from the harness to the butt connecter and then on to the remote wire?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

you have to connect the remote line to the headunit. that is how the amp turns on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, that's what I meant, it still has to be connected to the radio. It's been 10 yrs. or so since I installed an amp so maybe I just don't remember properly (and the new head unit hasn't shipped just yet), but I was thinking the remote lead was part of the factory harness and that you spliced into it so that it still connected to the radio and still was connected through the harness.

Again, I'm probably just misunderstanding, but does that make sense what I'm saying?

From what it sounds like, the remote wire actually isn't in the factory harness, rather, it is installed on the radio already and goes to nothing... until you hook up an amp.

Is that correct?

Thanks again for bearing with me. You have every right to make some serious fun of me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes thats correct.... there are two blue wires on your new headunit's harness, one is blue with a stripe, one is solid blue. You want the blue with the stripe. That puts out a switched 12 volts to turn on your amp. Just dont stack to many amps on that as it doesnt put out a ton of power.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
there is no point in connecting the remote lead from the new hu to the stock wiring. it serves no purpose. connect it directly from the hu to the amp. same thing goes for the other blue wire (power antennae) if you don't have a powered one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
there is no point in connecting the remote lead from the new hu to the stock wiring. it serves no purpose. connect it directly from the hu to the amp. same thing goes for the other blue wire (power antennae) if you don't have a powered one.
Are you saying that if you don't have a power antenna to connect both the power antenna and the remote wire together and to the remote wire going to the amp?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Are you saying that if you don't have a power antenna to connect both the power antenna and the remote wire together and to the remote wire going to the amp?
no. i am saying that if you do not have a power antennae there is no point in connecting that line to the wiring harness. no mater what you have or don't have there is no point in connecting the remote lead to the wiring harness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts