DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out which Sundown E10 V3 subwoofer to get for my Pioneer GM-D9701.
E10 V3 DVC 2ohm or DVC 4ohm?

The E10 V3 subwoofer will go into a custom aero ported enclosure tuned to 34hz which will go into the trunk of a 2005 Lexus ES330.

Pioneer GM-9701 RMS power rating:
  • 4 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm: 1200 watts x 1 chan.
Sundown E10 V3 subwoofer
both 2ohm version and 4ohm version = RMS power 500watts

Let me know if I'm missing any pertinent information to help me in figuring out which version sub to get for my amp. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
I would go with a dual 2 Ohm subwoofer wired in series for a 4 Ohm load.

This will also work out better should you ever decide to add a second matching subwoofer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This will also work out better should you ever decide to add a second matching subwoofer.
Thanks rton20! 2ohm version it is!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts

Why wouldn't you go with a single 4-ohm wired in parallel?
Or a double set wired in parallel to 1-ohm?

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Why wouldn't you go with a single 4-ohm wired in parallel?
Or a double set wired in parallel to 1-ohm?
Because he asked about a specific subwoofer available in DVC 2 or 4 Ohm configurations. And I prefer not to run amps (especially the bigger consumer brands) at their minimum impedance. Lastly, the amplifier should provide sufficient power given the configurations I suggested.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts

I 100% agree with all of this, BUT being that he is going with a custom box there is a chance he may never upgrade to a second sub, and IF i knew i was only going to go with a single sub and had no interest in a second, i might go for a single D4 wired down to 2 ohms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WIth the goal of SQ over SPL (although I do want some SPL which is why I went with a ported box), wouldn't the single 10" sub DVC2ohm wired in series for a 4ohm load sound cleaner than the DVC 4ohm wired down to 2ohm?

Btw, this will all be powered by the stock electrical system (stock alt and battery).
Also, would I need a farad cap?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
WIth the goal of SQ over SPL (although I do want some SPL which is why I went with a ported box), wouldn't the single 10" sub DVC2ohm wired in series for a 4ohm load sound cleaner than the DVC 4ohm wired down to 2ohm?

Btw, this will all be powered by the stock electrical system (stock alt and battery).
no cap needed. D2 wired to 4ohms is fine. I just always like to have a little power in reserve when needed. SQ would be the same with both set ups.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts

A better question might be whether 8-ohm coils wired in parallel to 4 ohms would sound the same as the 2 ohm wired in series to 4 ohms?

And then the second question is whether the same amp operating at 2 ohms is the same cleanness as when it runs at 4 ohms?

Or maybe not?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The motor strength differs depending on the voice coil impedance, and configuration (series or not). Model it in WinISD to see, that might affect the response that you're looking for in your application.

In terms of power, the Sundown's can take more than rated, compared to other brands. Just set a HPF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts