DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Would there any point in using a dvd-a audio disc in a system with a 3 way front stage and a pair of sub in stereo?

I really haven't listened to a dvd-a on a system that it could shine on. I thought the centre channel was important with dvd-a.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I may be asking a dumb question, but do you have a dvd-audio player? They are not the same as a normal dvd and will not play the dvd-a layer unless the player supports it (just the standard dvd version of the album if its included on the disc). Otherwise, dvd-a's do have much better resolution than the same album on cd. Bear in mind that dvd-a's were sometime remixed for the format and can sound different to begin with.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I may be asking a dumb question, but do you have a dvd-audio player? They are not the same as a normal dvd and will not play the dvd-a layer unless the player supports it (just the standard dvd version of the album if its included on the disc). Otherwise, dvd-a's do have much better resolution than the same album on cd. Bear in mind that dvd-a's were sometime remixed for the format and can sound different to begin with.
DVD-A is a complete waste in a car, not because the enviorment is so poor that you can't hear what it has to offer but because all it has to offer is a level of dynamic range that is greater then what your speaker system is capable of, a noise and distortion level that are well below what the human ear can detect, and a frequency response that goes higher then what you can hear.

The CD digital limit gives you all the resolution you will need, you just have to have the equipment that is clean enough to bring it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts