DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just bought the 785 and it looks to be pretty much the same, but it will do iPod control via the USB input.

I haven't tried Apple lossless audio off a USB drive, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't play it.

I agree with the first post almost entirely. The display doesn't look cheap to me, but it does have a couple problems. One is that it's hard to read. The contrast between the lit and unlit portions of the LCD is very small. Adjusting it doesn't really help, but I think if there was a way to tilt the display like my old JVC, then it would be OK. The other problem is that is completely impossible to read if I wear my polarized sunglasses. On my old HU, I could read it just fine as long as I didn't tilt my head 90° (and the LCD displays on my car's gauge cluster are the same way). This one though has wavy lines all over it no matter how I tilt my head. I have to lift the glasses up to see it. It's a PITA right now but I imagine once I've had it a while and get everything set the way I want it, it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It WON'T play in iPod mode with a 4th-gen unless you pay extra for the CeNet thing. POS. Anybody want to buy an iPod?

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a reminder and bump. Frys Electronics or Outpost dot com is selling the newer version of this head unit with ipod and usb direct for $149.90.

The DXZ785USB.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually got two of the DXZ785USB from Frys' for $99.00 each BNIB. They went quickly and are now discontinued.

One of the things I noticed about the floor models is that the graphics on display showed lines running through the normal AM/FM display like it got jarbled with the star graphics at one of the start of the settings menus. It looks like a model-wide defect. Does anyone else have this head unit to comment on it?

(nevermind) false alarm. I looked at the models on youtube and the lines going through are part of the display features. I guess it's suppose to be some sort of screen saver. I wonder why Frys discontinued it so quick though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I actually got two of the DXZ785USB from Frys' for $99.00 each BNIB. They went quickly and are now discontinued.

One of the things I noticed about the floor models is that the graphics on display showed lines running through the normal AM/FM display like it got jarbled with the star graphics at one of the start of the settings menus. It looks like a model-wide defect. Does anyone else have this head unit to comment on it?

(nevermind) false alarm. I looked at the models on youtube and the lines going through are part of the display features. I guess it's suppose to be some sort of screen saver. I wonder why Frys discontinued it so quick though.
Did you not get a manual with yours?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah you got a much better deal than me.

Anyway there are instructions in teh manual for turning off the screen saver.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you want the usb, just get it? We can't spoon feed the decision only you can make :D
These Clarion's don't get alot of attention of this site. Is the 785 exactly the same as the 775 but it also has iPod capability over USB? Just want to make sure the 785 didn't get cheaped out over the 775. It's not very often manufacturers make a nice product in this price range without screwing it up shortly after. Someone complained about teh display, but it was a floor model so, just wanted to make sure these are up to par.

If the 775 sounds better I'll keep it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts