DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
personally. nothing is "king" install is at least 50% of how something sounds.

I have heard relatively cheap speakers that sounded REALLY good and really expensive speakers that sounded like A$$.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
personally. nothing is "king" install is at least 50% of how something sounds.

I have heard relatively cheap speakers that sounded REALLY good and really expensive speakers that sounded like A$$.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Dynaudio

Is this really the King of the Mid Ranges?
Going to find out in a week or so. I wish our meet was another 2 weeks away and you could hear mine.

From what I hear it's the best *assuming a good install*. I spent days researching it and I've never heard a bad thing about it. People that were looking at the Scans changed their minds after hearing the Dyns. Everything points to this being the top mid out there. I wish I would've bookmarked all of the research I did.

I'm just another one of those people who have not heard the mid in question so take it for what it's worth. My opinion is only based on phone conversations with some very knowledgable people who have used them and a ton of googling.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Best or not its really subjective... i ABC the 430, with the scan 12m, and thesis voce. All have their sonic signatures, it was kinda hard for me to choose one of the three, they all sound good in their own way. I would say the 430 sounds natural like the scan 12m but with a little more transparency and sounds a little faster. The scan sounds very warm and dark and gloomy (in a good way). The thesis also sounded greatt. But being a 3 incher i could not cross it as low as i wanted. If they made a 4, id be alll over it... After it was all said and done, the 430 went in the car. :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
what?

these terms really throw me for a loop. I consider 'warm' the entire opposite of 'dark'.
Well, it makes sense in my head. I guess what Im trying to say is that it is definately not on the transparent bright and lively side, like say a seas lotus driver. Its more deep, dark, and warm.

·
18,605 Posts
So, who do I have to kill to get a set of these in my hands to demo? I'm always willing to try something ...

Would love to put them on the klippel along with some other dyn products.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best or not its really subjective... i ABC the 430, with the scan 12m, and thesis voce. All have their sonic signatures, it was kinda hard for me to choose one of the three, they all sound good in their own way. I would say the 430 sounds natural like the scan 12m but with a little more transparency and sounds a little faster. The scan sounds very warm and dark and gloomy (in a good way). The thesis also sounded greatt. But being a 3 incher i could not cross it as low as i wanted. If they made a 4, id be alll over it... After it was all said and done, the 430 went in the car. :)
With the price difference the 430 must have really made an impression.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
So, who do I have to kill to get a set of these in my hands to demo? I'm always willing to try something ...

Would love to put them on the klippel along with some other dyn products.
How hard is the Klippel on speakers? I can have Jerry ship you mine and you can ship them to me when you're done. Free break-in FTW lol.

I have a set of the e650s on the way, I have to install them this weekend but after that I can send them to you.

·
18,605 Posts
How hard is the Klippel on speakers? I can have Jerry ship you mine and you can ship them to me when you're done. Free break-in FTW lol.

I have a set of the e650s on the way, I have to install them this weekend but after that I can send them to you.
That would be awesome.

The klippel can be hard but it's really only a real issue on subwoofers. To
Give you an idea, I've already tested numerous speakers with over $300 price tags (per driver) and they're fine.

Like you said, free break in. ;)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
With the price difference the 430 must have really made an impression.
IMHO, its not 50% better, being the price/performance ratio. Its just a matter of subjective taste. Im willing to bet some would say the scans 12m is better, while some would say the thesis is, and some would say the dyns is. I just liked the dyn a little more. 1k better? I honestly dont think so. But when you reach the point of diminishing returns, SOME people are willing to pay alott for just a little difference.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Do I have an opinion??? (since that article is about the midrange test I did...lol)

Well, when we did the midrange test, both the 430's and the 12m's were definitely in a class by themselves. Double Blind and various age ranges and experience levels all agreed! With that said, the 430's were a full step above! They REALLY should have been in their own category. I think Southside is dead on regarding the sound difference (at least I understand what he means). The 12m's had more body but that is where you have to remember what you are testing it for. You don't need a midrange to have much body, muds things up. The Dyns were perfectly neutral and did everything a midrange is supposed to do.

Please keep in mind this test was performed before I ever thought of becoming a dealer.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Do I have an opinion??? (since that article is about the midrange test I did...lol)

Well, when we did the midrange test, both the 430's and the 12m's were definitely in a class by themselves. Double Blind and various age ranges and experience levels all agreed! With that said, the 430's were a full step above! They REALLY should have been in their own category. I think Southside is dead on regarding the sound difference (at least I understand what he means). The 12m's had more body but that is where you have to remember what you are testing it for. You don't need a midrange to have much body, muds things up. The Dyns were perfectly neutral and did everything a midrange is supposed to do.

Please keep in mind this test was performed before I ever thought of becoming a dealer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You guys get this thing on the Klippel yet? Would love to see the results. Personally I've never heard a midrange cone with better tone than a RS52 dome, but maybe this is the one.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Klippel results should be posted soon. I'm getting excited about actually getting to hear them. So far I've been fighting so many issues especially with the MS8 making my 650s sound terrible, I think any listening tests will be without the MS8 in the chain.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Klippel results should be posted soon. I'm getting excited about actually getting to hear them. So far I've been fighting so many issues especially with the MS8 making my 650s sound terrible, I think any listening tests will be without the MS8 in the chain.
MS-8 making the Mid Bass sound terrible; oh the pain. :z:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts