DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
That's not dynamat, it's peel-n-seal. They sell it at Lowe's and Home Depot by the roll like that.
It works OK as a sound deadener, but it's asphalt based rather than butyl and some people say it will make your car smell bad in a hot day...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
tons of threads on deadening and dampening here.... start reading

i'd ask that guy where he got the stuff before buying it. if its asphalt you should steer clear.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Looks exactly like eDead v1

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's not dynamat, it's peel-n-seal. They sell it at Lowe's and Home Depot by the roll like that.
It works OK as a sound deadener, but it's asphalt based rather than butyl and some people say it will make your car smell bad in a hot day...
It has almost no deadening properties and will melt in any hot weather. Pretty much the worst product you can imagine. I wouldn't call that okay. If you want to be cheap just buy some raammat and call it a day. It still works great and btw, there is no magical secret ultra cheap awesome working deadner out there waiting to be uncovered.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
It's definitely not Dynamat Xtreme and it's not Peel & Seal (uses a paper release liner). It does look like the Mylar faced eDead,in which case he paid $1/ft². It could also be R-Blox which is Mylar faced asphalt which costs even less than eDead.

It could be asphalt - virtually worthless as a vibration damper. It looks to have a Mylar facing which seriously compromises performance even if the adhesive is butyl - to the point of being almost as ineffective as asphalt.

Price/ft² is the most misleading spec in sound deadening. The performance ratio between good stuff and bad is 6:1 or more. It's not unreasonable to assume that this stuff would actually cost you the equivalent of $12/ft² to get the job done. Claims of: "As good as Dynamat" should be a big red flag for consumers. You want butyl and aluminum foil in a CLD, but even that doesn't guarantee a good product. Foil thickness and type and adhesive formulation are critical. Both components need to be carefully tuned to get good results.

I was willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt (ignorant not deceptive) but:

It's not made by the company dynamat, but work just as good as the stuff.
Dynamat Charges more for the name then, the product. (advertising)
Average trunk needs about 30Sq Feet, so 50-70 bucks to dynamat your trunk. (Which is the same as buying the deluxe pack @ quality auto sound/ cartoys for $300+ tax
and finally:
Tags: JL JBL MTX Alpine Pioneer Premier Rockford Fosgate Kicker Infinity Dual Jensen Focal Boston Acoustics Pyle Monster RMS PEAK Watts Subs Subwoofers Amp Amps Bass Loud Flex Hard
bite me.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I've got a SWEET "Dynamat alternative" that I've been using in my car that's costing me <$1 per sqft. If anyone's interested, I'll sell you the idea for $19.99. :):p

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Bang for the buck for an actual decent/good product is RAAMmat.IMO

·
Registered
571 Posts
I love it when Rudeboy swoops in on the deadener questions. :)

It's definitely not Dynamat Xtreme and it's not Peel & Seal (uses a paper release liner). It does look like the Mylar faced eDead,in which case he paid $1/ft². It could also be R-Blox which is Mylar faced asphalt which costs even less than eDead.

It could be asphalt - virtually worthless as a vibration damper. It looks to have a Mylar facing which seriously compromises performance even if the adhesive is butyl - to the point of being almost as ineffective as asphalt.

Price/ft² is the most misleading spec in sound deadening. The performance ratio between good stuff and bad is 6:1 or more. It's not unreasonable to assume that this stuff would actually cost you the equivalent of $12/ft² to get the job done. Claims of: "As good as Dynamat" should be a big red flag for consumers. You want butyl and aluminum foil in a CLD, but even that doesn't guarantee a good product. Foil thickness and type and adhesive formulation are critical. Both components need to be carefully tuned to get good results.

I was willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt (ignorant not deceptive) but:

and finally:

bite me.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Short answer, you CAN go wrong with that stuff...

read the site in Rudeboy's signature... It will at least tell you what stuff will survive in a car....

that is only the first step in determining the quality of this stuff... it actually has to be able to damp vibrations..

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Agreed 100% I can tell you now that if that stuff is the eDead that I put in a vehicle once before, I can tell you you'll be doing it twice with something actually GOOD later or you'll never get what you want.

If you want cheap but really good, go with RAAMmat (which incidentally is $1.82 sq ft!), or go with SecondSkin for even higher performance (potentially), for a slightly higher premium.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Have your people contact my people.

Here's a teaser pic for free in the mean time. This is just part of Colonel Fox's eleven special spices in the secret recipe. Mass loading FTW? :eek::confused::surprised:

its kind of hard to tell if you are serious sometimes... Dead Pancakes ?? LOL?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts