DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that I will use dynaudio for my front stage, and it will be a 3way setup. My confusion comes in with the passive/active option. I was thyinking of buying the esotar midrange and midbass woofer and adding a nice set of ribbons for tweets and going active. The local Dyn dealer says that Dyn put the time in the research and there is no way that I can make this active setup sound better than the Esotec 3way passive component set. Anyone have any thoughts on this??? Also, Dyn tweeter versus ribbon??

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
LOL...

I'd say that too if I was wanting to sell you something.

IMO, going active (though more time consuming and frustrating at first) has the potential to sound amazing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, this is probably what would make him more $$$...He could have tried to sell me the arc dxe for $1000+ too if going active, but didn't, so that makes me wonder..He said that the dyn xovers are so good that its foolish to think that I can make it sound better. I have never done a fuly active setup before, and looking to hear what those that have done and compoard them think. What about the ribbons vs the dyn tweeters???

·
Registered
371 Posts
i've heard something along those lines before, and i'm sure it's a bit of an overstatement. i think he was trying to get across the point that the crossovers are very high quality.

something to consider is it actually costs less to buy the esotec component set than buy the drivers separately. doesn't really apply to the esotar though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've heard something along those lines before, and i'm sure it's a bit of an overstatement. i think he was trying to get across the point that the crossovers are very high quality.

something to consider is it actually costs less to buy the esotec component set than buy the drivers separately. doesn't really apply to the esotar though.
I noticed that too..As I said, if I piece this together, I will more than likely go with the esotar line.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Well unless it is the Type X Alpine (or similar) crossover, it won't account for time differential due to speaker placement, so an active setup w/ time alignment and precise crossover control wins, hands down.

The X crossover I had (by memory) had some different jumper settings that could handle changes in position of the woofer relative to the tweeter, and so on.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The local Dyn dealer says that Dyn put the time in the research and there is no way that I can make this active setup sound better than the Esotec 3way passive component set. Anyone have any thoughts on this??? Also, Dyn tweeter versus ribbon??
Practically, yea I will agree with him. Just because you run it active doesn't guarantee better sound. For 99% of end users he sells to, I would agree with his general statement.

Absolutely, no I don't agree. Take a Dyn 3 way set and give it to an experienced installer and tuner and he/she could very well make it much better by running it active.

If this your first active set up and you're not willing to spend a lot of time tweaking and listening, using the passive is most definitely a better option. Active processing isn't inherently *better* it just gives you more freedom and greater possibilities. But, as with anything, that comes at a cost.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Practically, yea I will agree with him. Just because you run it active doesn't guarantee better sound. For 99% of end users he sells to, I would agree with his general statement.

Absolutely, no I don't agree. Take a Dyn 3 way set and give it to an experienced installer and tuner and he/she could very well make it much better by running it active.

If this your first active set up and you're not willing to spend a lot of time tweaking and listening, using the passive is most definitely a better option. Active processing isn't inherently *better* it just gives you more freedom and greater possibilities. But, as with anything, that comes at a cost.
That sounds like the whole truth to me. I am absolutely willing to spend the time, as I don't really believe in doing anything half-assed.

What do you guys think about my tweeter issue??

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
What about the ribbons vs the dyn tweeters???
What are you asking here? They're two different animals with different benefits and drawbacks depending on their use. I think Dyn uses fabric tweeters in all their speakers b/c they know that's part of a working equation, not because they are the absolute epitome of sound. Subbing a ribbon for a dome in a car could be the best thing ever, or a total disaster. My $.02.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What are you asking here? They're two different animals with different benefits and drawbacks depending on their use. I think Dyn uses fabric tweeters in all their speakers b/c they know that's part of a working equation, not because they are the absolute epitome of sound. Subbing a ribbon for a dome in a car could be the best thing ever, or a total disaster. My $.02.
Agreed.

In fact, to the OP, why do you think you even have a tweeter issue?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed.

In fact, to the OP, why do you think you even have a tweeter issue?
I don't think that I have a tweeter issue. I am just trying to get a total evaluation of my plans before I spend thousands more and realize I should have done something different. I have heard many good things about the ribbons and if I can get that extra 10% out of the system(SQ) by spending some extra time and using the ribbon, I would just assume do it from the start. Thanks for the input:D

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't think that I have a tweeter issue. I am just trying to get a total evaluation of my plans before I spend thousands more and realize I should have done something different. I have heard many good things about the ribbons and if I can get that extra 10% out of the system(SQ) by spending some extra time and using the ribbon, I would just assume do it from the start. Thanks for the input:D
I see where your coming from.

Keep in mind that install alone, and time spent doing it right with driver placement ect....will have the most effect on SQ then product choice in the speaker department alone. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see where your coming from.

Keep in mind that install alone, and time spent doing it right with driver placement ect....will have the most effect on SQ then product choice in the speaker department alone. :)
100% I just want to cover all of my bases and get opinions from some people that have a little more experiance than myself. I am still kind of wondering which direction to go here. My next battle is gonna be whether or not the esotars are worth an extra $1500....:confused:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wow, thats a big chunk of change....

Are you doing the install yourself?

What are you using for amplifiers?

I'm just curious....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah they aren't cheap:eek:
After talking with a gentleman at Dyn, I went with ARC. He said that for the sound I am looking for they are a great match and never hesitate to suggest them or audison for power with their products. It just came down to the deal at the time...I got off the phone with him and saw a killer deal on some ARC ks amps so I jumped on it.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I'd say you did quite right w/ the amps. ARC and Audison are going to replicate the signal as purely as any other top quality choice. They'll last a good while, too, and look good doing it.

IMO, with a budget like yours, you could do a whole lot w/ Scans, or something in that realm. Or HAT like a lot of guys like on here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd say you did quite right w/ the amps. ARC and Audison are going to replicate the signal as purely as any other top quality choice. They'll last a good while, too, and look good doing it.

IMO, with a budget like yours, you could do a whole lot w/ Scans, or something in that realm. Or HAT like a lot of guys like on here.
I keep seeing the HAT and Scan Speak stuff on here, but have no experiance with it. Anyone tested either of those against some Dyn stuff???

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Have you been to zaph's website?

That's probably the first place to start if you haven't.

Zaph|Audio

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Have you been to zaph's website?

That's probably the first place to start if you haven't.

Zaph|Audio
According to Zaph the hi-vi speaker that looks like the dyns is just as good as the dyns, or close he say for less than half the price per driver, I am thining about trying some of the hi-vi's out

he says he would use that driver over the morel and dyn

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to Zaph the hi-vi speaker that looks like the dyns is just as good as the dyns, or close he say for less than half the price per driver, I am thining about trying some of the hi-vi's out

he says he would use that driver over the morel and dyn
I just went on that site and saw that...I never heard of Zaph before..You could piece together a 3way for much less than half th cost of dyn. This is where I get confused again though..which drivers will work well in doors etc..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts