DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power should I use for one Dynaudio Esotar 1200 mounted IB?

I was going to power this with an Alpine PDX V-9.

The birth certificate for the V-9 shows 581 watts at 14.4 volts.

Is this too much for an IB install? :confused:

I really don't want to damage the sub!! :(

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I power my IB setup with enough power to hurt the subs if I just cranked the gain and played a 20hz test tone. That sub will take 580w thermally with no problem. Dyns are known to take significantly more power than they're rated at, thermally.

Whether or not you will hurt them from too much excursion/bottoming them is dependent on your setup. If you're worried about too much excursion, you can always run a subsonic filter. With mine, I did a lot of watching of the subs on a "worst case scenario" 20hz test tone and set the gain on the amp so excursion is within the subs' limits.

I'm sure the 3-4 Esotar 1200 owners (also running them IB) will be here shortly to help you out with now much they will actually handle IB based on experience. My only point was you're absolutely not going to hurt it with that amount of power thermally and its better to have some headroom and set the gain accordingly than to have too little power. You've got a great sub, I'm sure you're going to love it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking for more output then the 10 could provide when I stumbled on a good deal for the Dyn. Seems like the perfect solution for my convertible with limited space and I won't need a ton of power to run it. I am also surprised at how small it is (5.63" mounting depth) for the output it provides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts