DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, based on your experience which is the best option to run these drivers, on or off axis?
I am planning to build some columns/kicks, but i am not sure which is the best option.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input guys, i´ll place them in different places and positions to evaluate it.
I´ll begin with the MD140 placed with the kicks, pointed to me, and then with 15/30 degrees.
I did a quick test on the MD100 when i received it, and it sounded a little harsh with the original crossover, can i save him by going active or is it a property of the speaker?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think it was Marv that had a thread on aiming the md140 bouncing some sound off the door window on the opposite side of the car.
In short, something like from your left ear mark a point straight out to the left side of the car (in my case on the b-pillar). Then go 1.5" down and 5" forward and aim the opposite 140 at that point. Worked well for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After spending almost a year with these, I am going to give some info about the MD140 as far as where it goes best in MY set up.

2000 Chrysler Town and country.

If I place them RIGHT at the Bottom of the window at about 18 inches from the Pillars, they sound amazing there. Actually its kind of scary, the way I have my system set up now, when I am just running just the SINGLE right channel, it almost sounds like I have a stereo image.

The Dynaudio MD140 is a Midrange not really made to be a Hot point source speaker.

However, in my set up, the MD 100 tweeters DO sound best Aimed right at you.

I have about 5 Philips VW tweeters on my Sail panels, and they have the same X/o as the Dynaudio tweeters.

Listening to the MD140 is what's really interesting. They don't sound like a small dome speaker. That's the problem I had with the philips 2" dome tweeter. That and its sensitivity. You need about 5-10 of those in a line array to really make them sound dynamic.

If there is one thing that that Dynaudio drivers do great, its Dynamics. And the other has to be off axis response.

Philips? They make stuff that lasts a long time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had the 362 set in a 05 civic for years and before I came up with the final locations I had them placed every possible place and angle in the car with butle tape till I settled on the pillars and sail panels and kick panels for the mids, their was a time when I bought or borrowed at least 6 different small format tweeters to replace the md102 because of their drop off starting at 12k and had to leave them because of their ability to produce true lifelike sound. Try to place the tweeters as wide as possible for best results with stage width as I lost very noticeable width when I made the tweeter pods and brought them forward to look uniform with the mid.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I had my 140's firing straight up at the windshield in the corner of the dash with the 100's more on axis (though they probably would've sounded better on axis) for a few seasons with good results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This may be the first time I ever just drop the hammer and buy some new MD 102's if I can't find a match pair of the Volvo sets on ebay or a junkyard.

I will agree that they really do not have much output over the 12k or higher region. But that's what I got the 10 other tweeters for. So it does sound fantastic.

I'm thinking of pulling the string on some AMT type tweeters that will sound great in the upper range. But really? On acoustic music, vocals, and just general listening to stuff on youtube? They work great.

They kind of spoiled me for anything cheap and cheerful. This may be the very first time I start looking at spending upwards of $300 for tweeters.

Its time I really start to audition some new tweeters in the car and go full active soon. Hard to pull that trigger since my system sounds so good right now. Buts about time I make that next audio leap. The Dynaudio set is going to be my first pick. You just can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
A friend of mine got them 100% off-axis - they are installed on A-pillar and aimed straight into the windshield (just like they pointed away from you) - stage is extremely wide, deep and coherent. It does look weird, but they sounds better than any other dome midranges I have heard until now.

When I test positions for Brax dome mid I set them after a lot of testing off-axis - all harshness dissapeared, and stage was pin-point (tweeters - Infinity EMIT were installed on-axis) - stage width was form pillar to pillaror a bit better - good but not great

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I test positions for Brax dome mid I set them after a lot of testing off-axis - all harshness dissapeared, and stage was pin-point (tweeters - Infinity EMIT were installed on-axis) - stage width was form pillar to pillaror a bit better - good but not great

I spent damn near a Year without a dash trying all sorts of tweeters and locations. Even used Velcro to attach drivers placing them all over my dash just to find out where they sounded the best. Same with the midrange.

I even did the RTA thing to set my system to flat response, and I hated it in my Van. I really was wishing I could just drop in some 5.25 speakers in the dash and call it good. But even going to the Infitiy Kappa line, I STILL got that Nasty shrill from the tweeter. I almost gave up on car audio when I was at a store once, and EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SET made the same Break up mode.

I have learned one thing. I HATE CAR AUDIO TWEETERS in general. The only set that I think that ever sounded good was the set from Dymond Audio. That tweeter alone I think is a $5o dollar unit at madisound I think. Its the only one that can play anything and not give me that shrill sound from a tweeter playing WAY to low.

And I tried everything. I tried damping it, I tried it all.

Then one day, I found the dynaudio tweeters, Installed them and I can't ever go back to cheap midrange or tweeter drivers again. Nor crap crossovers.

But in all my testing? Speaker placement was the thing that made the magic happen. After that? TUNING.

A car is a bad place for Magnepans just saying. But they do sound FANTASTIC if you put them about 6 feet in front of your fenders :)

Sorry, Of topic. But yea, driver placement and working with drivers that work well in the cabin really do make a difference. Speakers are like Guitars. All of them have their very own voice. You just have to try what works Best for you. But having a good platform is never going to hurt. Well. Your wallet will. But oh well. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts