DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided on my frontstage speakers and was curious what members have crossed these speakers at. I'm not too concerned about the Dyns... I figure an 80hz point on these and they'll play up to 4000hz as stated in the specs. The Scans will be run on axis in pvc end cap enclosures at the corners of my dash. I'll be using the MS8 to tune and set these up. I've never run the Illuminator Rings and could use some advice on setup. Also, Has anyone successfully ran the Dyns at a higher crossover point? like say 5k? Just curious if the specs listed are accurate. I will of course be playing around with crossover points and slopes but wouldn't mind a good starting point. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
I wouldn't run them that high.

The mid will be beaming like crazy.

And the magic of the Scans is how well they can play low. If you are wanting to cross at 5k, you could get by with a less expensive tweeter.

And have those tweeters on axis as possible. All ring radiators like to beam and have bad off axis response.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't run them that high.

The mid will be beaming like crazy.

And the magic of the Scans is how well they can play low. If you are wanting to cross at 5k, you could get by with a less expensive tweeter.

And have those tweeters on axis as possible. All ring radiators like to beam and have bad off axis response.
So maybe a 2500hz point for the scans and run the mids up to 2500? and as stated in the original post I'll be running them on axis from the pillars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would high pass the MW160's a bit lower than 80hz to be honest. I've found them to be happy down to 50-60hz. Much lower and they will start to break up, but 80hz is a lot of waste IMO.

Dynaudio lists them as 55-3500hz.

I've got a set of garage speakers that are 3 way, each with a MW180, MW160GT, and MD100. They were constructed of some old KLH cabinets and a cannibalized Volvo C70 factory Dynaudio system. No idea what the factory cross points are, but I have the factory cross boxes inside the cabinets to boot. Sounds killer and plays real loud. Ask the neighbors :rofl

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would high pass the MW160's a bit lower than 80hz to be honest. I've found them to be happy down to 50-60hz. Much lower and they will start to break up, but 80hz is a lot of waste IMO.

Dynaudio lists them as 55-3500hz.

I've got a set of garage speakers that are 3 way, each with a MW180, MW160GT, and MD100. They were constructed of some old KLH cabinets and a cannibalized Volvo C70 factory Dynaudio system. No idea what the factory cross points are, but I have the factory cross boxes inside the cabinets to boot. Sounds killer and plays real loud. Ask the neighbors :rofl
Hmm... Sounds good. I have read on here that crossing at 80hz yields better SQ and less distortion. I will try crossing them at 63hz and see if I like that better. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running active with the 900/5 (100x4)... Any thoughts on running 100 watts to each of these? I will of course level match everything.

So I'm thinking Scans - 2500hz/24db, Dyns 63hz/24db, Ultimo 63hz/18db

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I don't believe the Dyns to be power hungry as most do since they're just as loud as any other speaker at the same wattage. However, they take additional power so nicely. At one time I had 300w each to my 162s and they were great. I kept pushing them with more and more power waiting for them to break up and distort but they never did.

Mine have been highpassed as low as 50hz and they're ok at that level but they do sound better the higher they're crossed. I have mine at 95hz right now just because I love the kick I get out of the subs.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe the Dyns to be power hungry as most do since they're just as loud as any other speaker at the same wattage. However, they take additional power so nicely. At one time I had 300w each to my 162s and they were great. I kept pushing them with more and more power waiting for them to break up and distort but they never did.

Mine have been highpassed as low as 50hz and they're ok at that level but they do sound better the higher they're crossed. I have mine at 95hz right now just because I love the kick I get out of the subs.
Sounds cool. Nice to get a few opinions from people who are running them. I'm going to set them at 63hz then move them to 80 depending on my preference. I truly appreciate the guidance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but where are the mids going? Kicks?

If you play the music really loud, the higher xover point may be better, but if you are more careful then 50-60hz is great on these! I run my mw150s down to 60hz with 100 watts each and they take it just fine, unless I try to play them stupid loud.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I missed it, but where are the mids going? Kicks?

If you play the music really loud, the higher xover point may be better, but if you are more careful then 50-60hz is great on these! I run my mw150s down to 60hz with 100 watts each and they take it just fine, unless I try to play them stupid loud.
mids are in the stock door locations.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
I would use 80Hz, especially with an Ultimo in the trunk. It'll keep door resonances and rattles down and the midrange won't get fuzzy at higher volumes.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, I had my Dyns at 80Hz/24dB with a bridged Arc 4150XXK on them and LOVED every second of it, and that was running them passively
That was my original thought! 80hz/24db... figured it would keep things clean. And that 4150 bridged put 320x2 to those bad boys! I had a 4150CXLR and miss that amp dearly. Fantastic amplifiers! One of my favorite amps from Arc. I'll only be running 100x2 into the mids but I think it'll be sufficient. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts