DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Need of opinions on what could missing...Sub related

Ok well i'm still having problems with my Sub/Midbass integration, i'm using the lowest xover point availabe on my subs, 63hz @ 18db, and i'm still getting way too much gain above that point, which dosent blend as well as i would like with my midbasses. So much that it feels sometimes like on bass heavy tracks that its being pulled to the rear, 12db seems to have more midbass integration but is too peaky, and 24db cutts off before it blends well enough.....When i level match from my 8053 i can get the midbass sub integration to sound pretty good, but i tend to lack that low end that i should be having i think. Before i port, which i already have my ports, a pair of 4" aero's, i possibly thought about using some polyfill, but i wonder really how much of a difference it will make......and how many lbs i would need for a 4.5cf sealed tempest.

I have thought extensively on going with another sub, one that takes less enclosure size, and could possibly dive deeper with a smaller box and the same amount of power....but i find my choices slim to none.....Without spending a good $200+ for a nice ID or Arc sub.

Would ported down to around 25hz give me that low end that i'm craving and smooth out the 50-70hz region characteristic of sealed boxes? Could i use my DX28 and possibly use its sub xover points as i could easily go down to 40hz with it, and have it flatten that 50-70hz region, and still have that subbass that i want.

BTW i also recieved my 2nd 2.400 in the mail the other day. I already have a DX28 for 3way upfront duty, just still trying to find a midrange that will suit me nicely.

What would you all do? I have also played around with midbass phasing and i can get it to sound centered but midrange seems to lack.

The title keeps messing up lo.
BTW anyone know good ways of tracking down plastic panel resonation from midbasses....i'm beaing plagued right now from too much resonation on my drivers door from midbass.....my passengers is perfect...but my drivers is killing me, any ideas? Its the front of the door panel near the dash.....and it seems like its around 90-100hz, and again at 250 mabey...but i may definently be wrong.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe it's just me but...

i've always felt tuning to between 30-40Hz is the way to go. any lower and you may have problems with group delay, but more importantly, who wants so much low end rumble? That kind of thing can really ruin most music IMO. I personally think that tuning no lower than about 3/4 octave below cabin resonance should be perfect. considering most cars resonate around 50-60Hz, tuning 30 -40Hz should suit most setups. Subsonic filters should be mandatory too of course. Winisd may recommend 25Hz for example, but thats 'maximally flat' optimisation which ignores vehicle transfer function. With ported box, its easy to get 'wrong' and i think most of the time this happens because people plonk an anechoic maximally flat box into the car, and the response just goes to hell once put in car.

But this is just MHO...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i just think the Gain at 50hz with a 30-40hz tuned box would be really high....With 4.5cf box.

Also group delay would be higher tuning at 30-40hz than 25hz, as 25hz resembles a sealed box closely, not exactly but pretty close as it looks, but a little more emphasis lower....I just need enough lower than 30-40hz to battle that 60hz and up gain as its just overbearing, and i can't get it to sound well enough.

My goal is really to get the sub response close to that of my HT tempest....7cf 21hz box. And it really sounds good with music....Best sub i've heard for music with limited experience....Very deep, impactful and very very accurate, never looses composure.

BTW thanks for the input Replica, i really apprecaite it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No problem dude. About group delay, my messing around with winisd has led me to the conclusion that higher tuning freq = lower group delay in ms. Maybe when i did it, it was a basket case. try messing with tuning freq on your own and see if it comes out the same.

People do recommend lower tuning as 'better' for group delay because you are much less likely to hear it at lower frequencies though. So its a tradeoff IMO between higher tuning and lower group delay in ms (provided i am right) but higher chance of audibility vs lower tuning and higher group delay in ms but lower chance of audibility. Either way i doubt group delay is a problem unless very very severe. It's the frequency response issues with low tuing which bother me more. Just MHO anyway

1 - 5 of 5 Posts