DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my previous Alpine 9815 installed with a Metra kit which forced me to have an oem fold down door left in the open position and just looked like ****. I bought some 1/8" textured abs plastic and made my own. I cut the plastic then sanded and painted it a flat black to match the dash. I think it looks much better but am curious to others opinions.

Before:

After: (Click on yellow bar for larger view)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Go back to the Metra bezel, but remove the burlwood door and cut it to fit on the bezel around the headunit. I've seen this done before and it looked quite good.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go back to the Metra bezel, but remove the burlwood door and cut it to fit on the bezel around the headunit. I've seen this done before and it looked quite good.
Sounds like a good idea. I appreciate the mature response.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ya know come to think of it I've seen that done before as well. My only concern is being able to cut it well enough to look good. I will check it out today and try it... thanks again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i think if you made your a little more flush it would be a way better looking bezel! i have the same problem with my e39 i dont want to go aftermarket because i think it doesnt look very good!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
And to the laughing newbs, find some class please.. you would benefit from it, especially on this forum.

I could be wrong but I don't think they intended any disrespect. I was about to post the same thing.

The old way looks better since it keeps the intended flow of the dash. I didn't notice the door above it when I first looked. If the door can be modified so it can close that would be ideal to me. It would be about as factory looking as it could get.

Where did you get the ABS plastic? I have to do a custom mount for my Denford.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ya know come to think of it I've seen that done before as well. My only concern is being able to cut it well enough to look good. I will check it out today and try it... thanks again!
IIRC I had seen this done by someone on Bimmerforums, in the audio subforum. He cut the bezel out around the headunit in a simple rectangle and routed the edge to give it a nice roundness close to what the rest looked like. He then sanded the wood down and recleared the whole piece to bring the luster back to the part that was reworked.

The end result was glued to the Metra bezel, eliminating the pop up door functionality that would be altogether pointless. Kept the nice burlwood belt theme going with minimal intrusion by the headunit, really did look good.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This what I'm going to do. The cheap Metra kit has a thin piece of plastic on top which makes you keep the fold down door in order to fill the large gap on top. The one from Bavarian Autosports flows with the dash and allows a more flush look while filling the gap where the door once was. Here are a few pics.

The cheapo Metra Bezel:

The Bavarian Autosports Bezel:

Here is a small pic of it installed. As you can see it flushes the radio and follows the flow of the dash. aslo fills in the gap on top where the door was.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had my previous Alpine 9815 installed with a Metra kit which forced me to have an oem fold down door left in the open position and just looked like ****. I bought some 1/8" textured abs plastic and made my own. I cut the plastic then sanded and painted it a flat black to match the dash. I think it looks much better but am curious to others opinions.
why not get a liitle creative with some plastic and filler?
heres mine for an E46!

didnt take to long to make and pleased with the end result :)
And the dash trim is now Ti silver to match the car as it was a little scruffy

[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
The rest of the install is as stealthy as the headunit! I will be posting a build thread when its finished :)

[email protected]
Headunit looks great, I'll definitely check out your build log once its up, I like the stealth installs.

And to the OP, I didn't think you're solution was too bad, but the Bavarian bezel might look good enough to give it a try

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I like the "after" better. Maybe cause am simple like that. But try covering it with some vinyl finish or texture.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the "after" better. Maybe cause am simple like that. But try covering it with some vinyl finish or texture.
I appreciate that Rick. I ended up ordering the kit from Bavarian Autosports... They were real cool on the phone and gave me a tracking number the same day. I actually think that the simple bezel looks good to but I also agree that staying with the flow of the dash will ultimately look better. Plus it flushes the deck in with looks cleaner. Thanks again for the positive comments.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts