DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, brand new to the forum, just stumbled across it trying to find help on upgrading my system in my e46. Hopefully yall can help me out.

I want to do an amp upgrade this summer (the increased sound in my bmw with increased speed drives me nuts) and want to be able to have my 4ohm speakers sound their best. I want all my speakers to be pushed? I've got the HK system but took out the 6x9's in the trunk this weekend. The previous owner pushed them with an amp and they sound like crap now. I'll have a single 12 in a custom enclosure this summer

Here's my set up. Keep in mind its an 01 325 Ci with HK

I've got stock tweets/mids up front (will be replaced this summer most likely with infiniti kappas)
Midbass I have Kenwood 3 way (4 ohm which is why I want to upgrade)
Rear I have the stock mids
Rear Deck I have Sony XS (and so far they sound like crap)
I took out the 6x9's as stated before. I've got a separate amp running a single 10 with a LOC on the stock amp

Here's optimally what I want to do. I want to replace the amp this summer with something pretty good. Suggestions here for something around 2-300 dollars would be great (I can handle a used one)

I want to upgrade the front midbass (i'll hang on to the kenwoods for now but in the future what is a good quality replacement?)

The tweets/mids need to be upgraded. Suggestions?

Rear deck has crap sony's in it. Those definately need to be replaced. What's the max speakers size I can put up there?

My budget is 500. I'll be doing all the install myself. Hopefully yall are able to help me out. e46fanatics forum has HORRIBLE response times and offers no solutions. I'm fairly new at audio but know my way around my car. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you're going to upgrade your front speakers, make sure you budget for an amp for those as well. If I remember correctly e46s use some very strange speaker impedances up front and the factory amp won't give them the proper amount of power. I didn't have the HK sound in mine though, so you may be ok. Make sure you check though. I think the mid-bass drivers were 2 ohm and the tweeters were 6 or 8.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I suggest you ditch the 3-way architecture and go with a slimline 2W comp set in the doors. I have fit Dyne 240GT/242GT in there. I think that non-GT requires cutting sheet metal. Morels work well...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going to upgrade your front speakers, make sure you budget for an amp for those as well. If I remember correctly e46s use some very strange speaker impedances up front and the factory amp won't give them the proper amount of power. I didn't have the HK sound in mine though, so you may be ok. Make sure you check though. I think the mid-bass drivers were 2 ohm and the tweeters were 6 or 8.

I'm upgrading the amp in the trunk w/ an a/d/s this summer so OHM's will be able to go up to 4. Any more suggestions with speakers? The more and more I look around the more and more I want to do a component set. Suggestions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
As one gentleman above suggested, Dynaudio is always a great choice and the GT series should fit in the door. The Focal Polyglass series drivers should fit as well and sound nice if you're on more of a budget.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The GT series do fit in the door without cutting it - you can trim about 1mm off of the outer edge of the MW162GT (midbass in the System 242 kit) with tin snips and mount it to the door panel.

However, due to the limited space there, the midbass is lacking. You need to damp the snot out of the door panel too.

Best results are obtained sonically by cutting - which lets you use MW162 cast-frames, which otherwise wouldn't fit, or Morel cast frame, or others.

The Dyne tweeter will fit behind the mid grille in the door panel, but I would prefer to move it farther up and forward personally. If you fab into the mirror sails, you can put a tweeter there. The Dyne tweeter is a tough fit there, but the Morel MT23 will fit.

If you don't want to mod, a used set of Dyne Sys 240GT or Sys 242 GT are actually a surprisingly easy install in that door, compared to just about everything else.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The GT series do fit in the door without cutting it - you can trim about 1mm off of the outer edge of the MW162GT (midbass in the System 242 kit) with tin snips and mount it to the door panel.

However, due to the limited space there, the midbass is lacking. You need to damp the snot out of the door panel too.

Best results are obtained sonically by cutting - which lets you use MW162 cast-frames, which otherwise wouldn't fit, or Morel cast frame, or others.

The Dyne tweeter will fit behind the mid grille in the door panel, but I would prefer to move it farther up and forward personally. If you fab into the mirror sails, you can put a tweeter there. The Dyne tweeter is a tough fit there, but the Morel MT23 will fit.

If you don't want to mod, a used set of Dyne Sys 240GT or Sys 242 GT are actually a surprisingly easy install in that door, compared to just about everything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done a bit of searching. Can yall direct me to a link to these Dyne 240GT speakers? I can't seem to find them.

Second I've heard that Investing in a good set of mids/high's and good midbass is sufficient enough to pump some good sound throughout the car. Is this true? or should I get an amp that can wire up to the mids in the back for the people in the back seat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two things, one, rear speakers are a commie plot, two, you have an E46 coupe - screw the rear seat passengers.

Three, the Dyne tweeters play low, lotsa voices audible from in back - serious.

Dynaudio - Authentic Fidelity
I'm not concerned about the rear passengers. I think I've only carried rear passengers once. I want to make sure that the sound will be able to crank from the fronts loud enough to get the party going.

Second I know Blaupunkt has a plug and play system for the e46 HK system.
Blaupunkt THA275PnP 2-channel car amplifier 75 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Would that be able to push Dynaudio speakers loud enough for some fun?

As far as the sub goes, I was going to consider just having one amp with 4 channels but I think I'll just go with two Amps now.

What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I want to make sure that the sound will be able to crank from the fronts loud enough to get the party going.
Hmm... not sure my advice will help you.

Second I know Blaupunkt has a plug and play system for the e46 HK system.
Blaupunkt THA275PnP 2-channel car amplifier 75 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Would that be able to push Dynaudio speakers loud enough for some fun?
I think that many many E46 owners have used better amps and you shouldn't over-rate the value of the E46 lug in - and I would not push Dynes with one of those.

I

What do yall think?
I think that you are not an SQ guy... and you have a tough car to play loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm definately looking for a good quality speaker to get things going. e46's are able to get that way, I've seen a few builds like that but I'm mainly looking for a speaker/amp set that will fit and sound great.

I listen to a lot of rap and country so there is definitely a variety that needs to be looked into with the type of speaker.

Any more help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definately looking for a good quality speaker to get things going. e46's are able to get that way, I've seen a few builds like that but I'm mainly looking for a speaker/amp set that will fit and sound great.

I listen to a lot of rap and country so there is definitely a variety that needs to be looked into with the type of speaker.

Any more help?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts