DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to connect the last available channel of an MS-8 to the sub channel of 2 JL HD900/5 sub amps (i.e. each amp is driving a separate sub)? I see in the manual for the HD900/5 that a y splitter is required for the sub inputs on the HD900/5.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
3 Y splitters would be fine. I doubt you need to use both inputs on the amp, though. That's probably just necessary if you have a stereo signal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 Y splitters would be fine. I doubt you need to use both inputs on the amp, though. That's probably just necessary if you have a stereo signal.
Thanks. Do Y splitters degrade the SQ?

Not sure if the Y splitter is necessary but at page 9 of the manual it states:

“6 Ch.” Input Mode

In this mode, you will connect separate pairs of input cables to the “Front”, “Rear” and “Sub” amplifier inputs, allowing you full channel
control from the source unit. If the source unit only provides a mono (single) subwoofer output, use a y-adaptor cable to feed both the “Left” and
“Right” subwoofer inputs of the HD900/5 with the mono signal. Failure to do so will result in reduced gain and possible distortion.​

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
They don't degrade them in any noticeable way, no. And I wouldn't worry about that warning, anyway. You'll have enough input voltage that you don't need to double it by splitting into 2 inputs. The gain control is just going to attenuate the signal, anyway, so you might as well just run it at a higher level to compensate for the input voltage not being doubled.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't degrade them in any noticeable way, no. And I wouldn't worry about that warning, anyway. You'll have enough input voltage that you don't need to double it by splitting into 2 inputs. The gain control is just going to attenuate the signal, anyway, so you might as well just run it at a higher level to compensate for the input voltage not being doubled.
Thanks. I'd like to decide today between the JL option and the Alpine option as I am heading out of the country for a bit this evening (see my post below - 2 amps v. 1 amp for 2 subs). Any thoughts on the two options?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts