DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any tips on what the easiest way to test polarity is? I'm 99% sure they're all set up properly but I'd like to test it. Other than the amp test (I rather not unplug the amps, it took me hours to plug it in neatly the way I wanted to). I have the MobilePre + ECM mic, w/ tons of CDs with the polarity pulse but what program do I use?

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have any kind of audio measuring equipment that can do a sweep of all frequencies measured over time then on the chart you could tell. The only other option is a multi meter set to DC or AC and go across the leads see if you get negative or positive, though I don't recomend it.

If you do have a multi meter you could check the ohms of the wire. Since speaker wire puts up very small (usualy zero to a multi meter on short runs) you could put one probe on the postivie speaker wire coming out of the amp and then on the speaker it runs to, again the positive side of the speaker. If the resistance is zero or darn close your right, if you change to the other lead and it goes up yup, you got it. If you switch the porbe on the speaker and instead the resistance goes down you may have it backwards.

Am I clear as mud??

·
Registered
62 Posts
What i have done in the past for subs and mids and bookshelf speakers is take a 9v battery and connect it up positive to positive, neg to neg. if it pushes out its correct, as in the one you thought was the positive is the positive. if it sucks in then the one you thought was positive is really negative.

yea yea not the best for speakers but it gets it done and no real damage at all.

not suggested on tweeters as you cant really tell whats going on in that situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts