DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for clean and easy install? I really like the look of these, but they are pretty expensive on Ebay for $12.50 each!

I already know these are popular.

Do you guys preferences using certain ones near each speaker, lights, remote wires, etc?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
For amp racks, I like the barrier strips. They aren't very expensive, they work well, and they are usually hidden anyways. For making quick disconnects for things like speaker pods, I like Molex connectors. You can pay more and not wait if you get them at Radio Shack, but if I have lead time, I use the site below.

Molex Connectors within Multi-Pin - MCM Electronics Category

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You better get it right, it is for 1 connection only, I'm using the 5 wire for my HU and other's ground...
Then the 2 wire is for 1 speaker terminal connection....
If you want to have functions like the barrier strip, this is not the 1 you should get....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the posts guys... I bought a dozen of the Wagos 5 pin and 3 pins. The only bad thing about that website is that it does not tell you how much shipping costs even after you give them your CC.

I'm plannig to fuse a relay for my accessory wire and then spread it out multiple devices in the car that are low power--amp turn on, iphone hardwire, GPS hardwire, LED hardwire, etc.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I like the strips in the bottom photo, and you can chop off the number of them you need. I actually tend to use wire nuts for hidden stuff. If they can hold 120v for 50 years in houses then good enough for me. If you remove things, well then a strip is nicer of course.

I used a smaller 10A relay for all my amp fans and remotes it works well, they have a lower power consumption off the HU...the coil rating.

I've run a sub box and amp that was removable and used a trailer plug. It had 6 or 8 wires, it was just like the 4 wire type used on many small trailers. So I used two wires for redundant power, but it fits tight and inside the car doubt it would ever have a connection issue. This is not a large amp so the wire size is not an issue. Found it at a local farm supply chain.

I like the molex too, they are a pain to assemble though...even harder to order all the right pins and male/females at some places. If you have the room you can cheat and use electrical cord ends.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys... I bought a dozen of the Wagos 5 pin and 3 pins. The only bad thing about that website is that it does not tell you how much shipping costs even after you give them your CC.

I'm plannig to fuse a relay for my accessory wire and then spread it out multiple devices in the car that are low power--amp turn on, iphone hardwire, GPS hardwire, LED hardwire, etc.
US - Electronic Components Distributor - Catalogues, Select, Findings and other brochures | Newark.com
Free postage when you ordered >$100... In my country, I only can enjoy this offer when my order are >$10... Their service are quite good and fast.... Even the speaker wire I bought from them, 1 big reel of Belden...

I like the strips in the bottom photo, and you can chop off the number of them you need. I actually tend to use wire nuts for hidden stuff. If they can hold 120v for 50 years in houses then good enough for me. If you remove things, well then a strip is nicer of course.

I used a smaller 10A relay for all my amp fans and remotes it works well, they have a lower power consumption off the HU...the coil rating.

I've run a sub box and amp that was removable and used a trailer plug. It had 6 or 8 wires, it was just like the 4 wire type used on many small trailers. So I used two wires for redundant power, but it fits tight and inside the car doubt it would ever have a connection issue. This is not a large amp so the wire size is not an issue. Found it at a local farm supply chain.

I like the molex too, they are a pain to assemble though...even harder to order all the right pins and male/females at some places. If you have the room you can cheat and use electrical cord ends.
I won't get them for car applications as it will get loosen after some time(as fast as 6 months)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts