DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm currently running an all eclipse system in my g35 the the following components:

1 each - eclipse avn5495
1 each - eclipse pa5422 (4 ch, 800 W amp)
1 each - eclipse da6213 (2 ch, 1000 W amp)
1 set - eclipse sc8365 (3 way components)
1 set - eclipse sp8994 (2 way 6 x 9)
1 each - eclipse sw8000 (10" sub)

without changing my speakers, would it be worth it to get the new eclipse amps?

eclipse xa4200 (4 ch, 1000 W amp)
eclipse za1200 (1 ch, 1500 W amp)

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
With that sub, I can offer quite a bit of advice. The rest is up to you and the opinion of others, but IMO there's nothing wrong with going all Eclipse.

With the SW8000, build your box VERY strong and build it ~1.8 cubic feet or so, sealed. This sub abhors small boxes and I've tested this personally to find it out. Also, it has a severe dip in impedance in the frequency response, so be VERY sure to get an amp that can take a low impedance hit without failure. I knocked out two amps with this sub because of this spike. Eventually a 2ohm stable mono amp solved the problem.

The amps you are looking at are seriously nice ICEpower amps, which are my favorite type of high efficiency design. I also like their looks quite a bit.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Not that I can tell as far as to suggest spending the money. The sub amp produces the same wattage (as far as I can read into specs) in a 4ohm load, and the main puts out almost exactly the same.

Is there something your current amps don't do for you? They look amazing, IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got no problems with the amps i have now. but, i am the type of person that just likes new stuff. haha.

i think i should just wait until i really need new amps.

only thing i don't like is having to turn the volume up to about 60 for dvds. not sure if the new eclipse amp would help in solving that problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got no problems with the amps i have now. but, i am the type of person that just likes new stuff. haha.

i think i should just wait until i really need new amps.

only thing i don't like is having to turn the volume up to about 60 for dvds. not sure if the new eclipse amp would help in solving that problem.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I don't see how. The amps are basically the same in output and the head unit matters for RCA output.

If you want to make the biggest "bang" for the buck in car audio, work on deadening, sealing your doors, and active crossover control. Then, consider your front speakers the most important in the list of "things to upgrade", while amps are WAY back in the list as things get better in your system to the point where either you need more power, or you want better SQ. Thing is, your amps have great SQ and to suggest something better for you would take golden ears since amps really don't make that much of a difference compared with the other items along the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
avn5495

sc8365 (tweeter is mounted in stock location on sail)

sub floor

as of now, when funds come available, i want to have an active front stage. what would sound good in a g35 coupe?

i'll still use the same 4 channel amp, to run the new components. i'll 86 the 6x9s. if need be, i'll try to find another 2 channel eclipse amp if i get 3 ways.

any recommendations are appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts