DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with any feedback on this HU? I meant to put a question mark in the title. Is it a good SQ deck?

All pro's and con's, any and all info greatly appreciated..

Pre owned value, seller is asking $400, the system is complete with remote and cables, everything supposedly works.. Good deal?

Now I am trying to find info on it, getting conflicting info. Will go to Eclipse Homepage and get info.

Does this make for a good SQ deck? It had a retail of $2400 when it came out was that 06 or 08?

I found an online shop that is still selling them for $2400..

What do you guys think? What's it worth should I decide to resell it? It is in good condition, fully functional..

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would rather buy a new AVN6620...i know that the AVN5495 is hard drive based but remember they are older maps and the AVN6620 was actually pretty fast in my use when I had it.

As far as an SQ deck, thats a personal choice and I wont get into that but I can say it sounded better than some Alpine and Pioneers that I have had. Take into account that this gear towards Navi/DVD player not a SQ headunit ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rather buy a new AVN6620...i know that the AVN5495 is hard drive based but remember they are older maps and the AVN6620 was actually pretty fast in my use when I had it.

As far as an SQ deck, that's a personal choice and I wont get into that but I can say it sounded better than some Alpine and Pioneers that I have had. Take into account that this gear towards Navi/DVD player not a SQ head unit ;)
Check.. I also read that the software from 2004 needs to be updated by eclipse. Basically you send it in and they charge you almost $400 to replace a hard drive. You lose all your stored music.. I could care less about that, It's not my music. Now I am very handy, I can take anything apart and put it back together. Was wondering if I could just get the parts and install myself. Or does it involve programming calibration, factory setup that the average Joe is not capable of performing with his basic kit? How hard could it be? Seriously?

The article I read was an older article, perhaps Eclipse has adressed this situation..

Hard drive based systems fell to the wayside but this one supposedly holds it's own for a few reasons.. The HD uses a portion of it's space for the Navi programming/mapping. The rest is for storing music. You just pop in a CD and it copies it, stores it right to the drive. You can also insert a music stick and plug an Ipod in.. Plus it's got 5 volt front rear and sub pre outs along with tons of other features..

I will go to the site and D-load the manual, but can anyone tell me how much adjust ability it has for signal processing? Does it have bandpass for midbass, adjustable slopes and XO points, incremental delays? If not it's cool, I plan on using an additional processor anyway. Something like a bit 1 or whatever..

Is it folly to expect good SQ from a navi oriented deck? Can I build my SQL system around this unit? (4 way active)

You recommended another deck, thanks, the reason I am inquiring about this one is because I may get it for $400 or less.. Price is my motivation here.. I see it selling current from $2400 to $2700 even though it was made back in 06, it is supposedly holding it's value and aside from that major navi upgrade quandary, great reviews....

Plays DVD's MP3 and all manner of media, has HD tuner built right in, I pod connect (I never use Ipod so i could care less about that feature. Ipod and SQ? Somehow doesn't fit in the same conversation.. Don't use it, don't care for it, so if it is slow loading, moot point for me..

Question is, does it have the signature Eclipse signal quality found in their SQ decks? 24 bit DAC converter..

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I believe it is a software/memory remapping aka you have to get it and i dont think Eclipse will ever release it to the public

No real DSP or adjustments except for 5 band GEQ and seat position adjustment and your typical bass, treble, fade, balance, etc

Seriously man, if you are really concerned about SQ i would not be looking at a Navi/DVD head unit, there are other HUs known for their superior SQ. You really cant have it all both Navi, DVD and SQ in one unit, well to my standards anyways (I have tried and end up going one way or the other and not having both). It really depends on the end user and his own personal goals.

FYI a 24-bit DAC really isnt all its cracked up to be and they are not all the same....dont be concerned about a certain part, look at how they work together as a whole. Its all marketing IMO :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it is a software/memory remapping aka you have to get it and i dont think Eclipse will ever release it to the public

No real DSP or adjustments except for 5 band GEQ and seat position adjustment and your typical bass, treble, fade, balance, etc

Seriously man, if you are really concerned about SQ i would not be looking at a Navi/DVD head unit, there are other HUs known for their superior SQ. You really cant have it all both Navi, DVD and SQ in one unit, well to my standards anyways (I have tried and end up going one way or the other and not having both). It really depends on the end user and his own personal goals.

FYI a 24-bit DAC really isnt all its cracked up to be and they are not all the same....dont be concerned about a certain part, look at how they work together as a whole. Its all marketing IMO :D
Noted.. Thanks.

So basically, the Eclipse Navi unit won't have that signature Eclipse SQ signal? Is that fact or an educated guess?

Whatever deck I decide to use, I will be implementing an additional processor/prcsr's. Aside from the Clarion that has the 4 band pre outs (S/MB/MR/T pre outs) I don't know of any decks that offer the full processing required to completely run a 4 way from the deck. So I will add an additional processor that will do all that. (delays, variable XO and slopes,4 way control w/bandpass for midbass and midrange, EQ as well, probably something that offers separate L/R EQing, dual mono or an EQ that has L/R option)

If the Navi unit doesn't have that signature Eclipse signal, I guess I'll pass, or purchase for resale..

What do you guys think? Inferior signal from the Eclipse Navi units as compared to their Comp SQ decks? Is that a fact that is unanimously agreed upon?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It does have the same sound as Eclipse decks from the same era. It doesn't, to my knowledge, have 24 but DAC's like the 6620 I run.
Yes, hard drive based and upgrading is a PITA, if there is even an upgrade.
I would say $400 is probably about an average price for one. The AVN5435 is of the same vintage, but DVD based maps. I wouldn't consider the HD based maps an advantage since the DVD maps for almost all their other models are updated annually, but still expensive.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well i can say that my Eclipse CD8454/CD8053 sounded a bit better than the Eclipse AVN6610/6620 that I owned, but for what its worth the functions of the AVN units surpassed the advantages of the slight SQ difference. Then again it could all be psychoacoustics ;) :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does have the same sound as Eclipse decks from the same era. It doesn't, to my knowledge, have 24 but DAC's like the 6620 I run.
Yes, hard drive based and upgrading is a PITA, if there is even an upgrade.
I would say $400 is probably about an average price for one. The AVN5435 is of the same vintage, but DVD based maps. I wouldn't consider the HD based maps an advantage since the DVD maps for almost all their other models are updated annually, but still expensive.
$400 is average price? Man I still see them retail for $2400.. Guess no ones buying..

I thought I was getting a steal.. Guess not..

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're going for 300-400 on ebay, used.
Yeah, I figured that out.. There's one up there with 0 bids @ $500 starting bid.. Incredible. The fact that they are currently retailing for $2400+ and no one is buying used for $500..

If I can talk this dude down to $300 (which I think he'll go for) I may just do it..

Again, does it lack the signal quality that their upper tier SQ decks are known for? Does it lack that signature Eclipse sound? More of a Gizmo than an SQ deck?

If it's signal will closely match the SQ of their "better known for SQ" type decks, I will go for it.. Lack of processing not an issue, plan on using a serious processor which enables full control of a 4 way system from the drivers seat If there is a large disparity in the quality of the signal and output voltage of preamp outs, then I will pass.. I already own a Kenwood DDX7015 which I have never used, a few in here have made favorable comments regarding that deck.. Maybe I'll just use that? So many decisions to make..

Please let me know (if anyone knows for sure)

Thanks..

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i can say that my Eclipse CD8454/CD8053 sounded a bit better than the Eclipse AVN6610/6620 that I owned, but for what its worth the functions of the AVN units surpassed the advantages of the slight SQ difference. Then again it could all be psychoacoustics ;) :D
So there was a slight difference in signal quality, the Navi functions made up for the slight disparity but it could have been cabin related which means that the Navi could be a POS compared to their SQ decks but hard to tell given your application?

Man I wish I had some definitive answers.. I don't know enough about the tech side of things to make an educated decision..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I never really cared for the 5495. Like all HD navi units it takes too long to load. The new 726E is the one you want.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man I wish I had some definitive answers.. I don't know enough about the tech side of things to make an educated decision..
Well, you are asking someone to tell you how a deck sounds to YOUR ears. Pretty hard to get a definitive answer.
It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy this thing since nobody is telling you what you want to hear. It's not that great a deal even at $300 so just move on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, you are asking someone to tell you how a deck sounds to YOUR ears. Pretty hard to get a definitive answer.
It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy this thing since nobody is telling you what you want to hear. It's not that great a deal even at $300 so just move on.
No that's not my question. No I am not trying to get someone to tell me what I want to hear in order to justify buying the deck.. How could I expect someone to tell me what the deck would sound like to my ears? I'm not even sure if that comment makes any sense.

Anyway, it's very simple, what is the Eclipse deck of choice for SQ? What makes it so?. What is the difference in signal quality between the 2 and why? Why is this deck short of the signature Eclipse signal? Nothing else, just the signal quality itself. What makes them different and why?

·
Registered
202 Posts
No that's not my question. No I am not trying to get someone to tell me what I want to hear in order to justify buying the deck.. How could I expect someone to tell me what the deck would sound like to my ears? I'm not even sure if that comment makes any sense.

Anyway, it's very simple, what is the Eclipse deck of choice for SQ? What makes it so?. What is the difference in signal quality between the 2 and why? Why is this deck short of the signature Eclipse signal? Nothing else, just the signal quality itself. What makes them different and why?
What I'm trying to say, and others have tried as well, is that this deck is not the best SQ deck Eclipse offers, or has offered. It was not engineered that way, and it's ultimate purpose is not that of pure SQ.
It's not bad, just not as high quality as you say you are looking for.

If you want someone to say the SQ is good enough to justify the price...........I think that's been covered. My opinion is no.

If the top of your priority list is SQ, then look elsewhere. If you want all the NAV and movie functions, with acceptable SQ, then buy it an try it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone with any feedback on this HU? I meant to put a question mark in the title. Is it a good SQ deck?

All pro's and con's, any and all info greatly appreciated..

Pre owned value, seller is asking $400, the system is complete with remote and cables, everything supposedly works.. Good deal?

Now I am trying to find info on it, getting conflicting info. Will go to Eclipse Homepage and get info.

Does this make for a good SQ deck? It had a retail of $2400 when it came out was that 06 or 08?

I found an online shop that is still selling them for $2400..

What do you guys think? What's it worth should I decide to resell it? It is in good condition, fully functional..

Thanks in advance..
Z Best HU I ever owned. Lost mine in car impound. I would love for a chance to purchase one again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts