DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I've looked around quite a bit of places trying to find a good head unit for a new system I'm planning and I've pretty much boiled it down to these two products. The main features I'm looking for is adjustability. I'm a new to the car audio world so going active might be a little too much for me, but being able to tweak the settings to make it sound exactly the way I want is a must. The reason I chose these products is the T.A. (yes it's a crutch, but in my car I can barely hear the passenger side!) and plenty of crossover points with the ability to change the slope. Also, expandability would be nice (but not crucial). I also like the parametric EQ, however the kenwood has a 3 band while the eclipse has a 7 band. I'd like to keep the price as reasonable as possible ($300 for both of these units is just fine) which is why I didn't throw in the 9887 or something else like that. BT isn't a necessity I have, but I think it's a cool idea and on the rare occasions I do use the phone, it would help me out if I had this feature.

So basically what I'm asking is this, which seems the better unit, or are there any I'm missing for around this price range?

Thanks a lot for any input!

-Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
Both are new units to the market and just becoming available now so I doubt many people will be able to give you their opinion. Just from the visual aspect I prefer the Kenwood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am hoping that by just looking at the features listed, then some people can comment on them. I'm also open to suggestions of units in this price range.

And yes, I completely agree with you. I think the Kenwood looks very nice and clean, while the eclipse just reminds me of... other things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright new question! What unit could I get for ~$300 that has the features I listed above, and possibly more?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just order the Eclipse a few days ago. I'll let you know everything I can as soon as it comes in, which should be May 15th, give or take a few days.

-Token

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm actually looking at those same two units and a Pioneer 7100BT. Its for my fiancee's car so SQ is not really that important. For her the important features are built in bluetooth, direct connect iPod, and it has to be easy to use. So far I'm leaning towards the Eclipse but she likes the Kenwood because its "pretty".

·
Registered
2 Posts
All day today I've been considering the X993, Alpine's 9887, and the Pioneer DEH-P710BT. I hadn't looked at the CD 5030 until seeing this thread.

Despite the 7 band eq and the 5 vs 4V output of the DEH-P710BT, I think at this point I'm leaning toward the X993. I'm not really seeing much more difference between the two. I did see the X993 in action in a store, and it does look damn smooth, so that definitely helps it's appeal. The customization, even down to the color of the accents and the screen (Or have them randomly change), is pretty cool.

They both look pretty good for the price, I think. I feel like I hear more good things about Kenwood as far as a brand goes, but that doesn't mean Eclipse isn't plenty good.

Maybe if I get one I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
in the same boat as you. waiting for the DEH-P710BT to come out. it has all the features i need and looks really great too. built in usb and everything. it doesn't have the 24bit burr brown that the 980BT and 880PRS had though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
in the same boat as you. waiting for the DEH-P710BT to come out. it has all the features i need and looks really great too. built in usb and everything. it doesn't have the 24bit burr brown that the 980BT and 880PRS had though.
That's one thing the KDC-X993 looks to have over the DEH-P710BT, is a 24 bit D/A Converter, which theoretically would mean better sound. The Time Alignment is another thing the X993 has that I'm interested in.

On the other hand, the DEH-P710BT's 7 band eq would be nice, and I think I'd get some use out of a steering wheel remote. Oh, the choices! :freak:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's one thing the KDC-X993 looks to have over the DEH-P710BT, is a 24 bit D/A Converter, which theoretically would mean better sound. The Time Alignment is another thing the X993 has that I'm interested in.

On the other hand, the DEH-P710BT's 7 band eq would be nice, and I think I'd get some use out of a steering wheel remote. Oh, the choices! :freak:
I had the steering wheel remote with my 9400MP and it was great.

·
Registered
23 Posts

i'm in the same exact boat as you are too man. i can't decide. I wish pioneer woulda came out with a true top of the line option like the DEH-P980BT w/ 24 bit DAC. i don't know why they didn't this year though. It seems like the KDC X993 has built in USB as well. I just need that, and satellite radio and bluetooth!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just order the Eclipse a few days ago. I'll let you know everything I can as soon as it comes in, which should be May 15th, give or take a few days.

-Token
Any feedback on the unit yet? I'm interested in it as well, curious to see how the bluetooth and ipod interface is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How I wish. I was waiting on Crutchfield to get it but Pacific Stereo (Eclipse's other main dealer) SAID they had it so I ordered it a few weeks back. And I'm still waiting...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm actually looking at those same two units and a Pioneer 7100BT. Its for my fiancee's car so SQ is not really that important. For her the important features are built in bluetooth, direct connect iPod, and it has to be easy to use. So far I'm leaning towards the Eclipse but she likes the Kenwood because its "pretty".
in my experience kenwood receivers aren't that easy to use. when i complained about this to the store i bought from they said it's a common issue.

have you looked at pioneer? their stuff usually has all the bells and whistles at least with the premier line.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts