Votes: 4 80.0%
  • iPod, Using Aapter

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is better in function, speed, and sound quality... to put music on to a usb flash drive or connect an ipod using the adapter?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not sure:confused: But I am curious as well. I am considering getting an Ipod (I know, get with the times old man :D ) to remove the 300 cds from the front and back seats of my car. I have a cd changer on the way, and will keep a visor cd case, but put the rest on an Ipod. I also have tons more at home to load on it. No more clutter in the car is a good thing. It already has the usb input so why spend money on an adaptor?

Jman

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also had one more question:

Since im considering on getting the Eclipse CD7200, it has an 8v preout and I will be connecting it to an Audison LRx 5.1k - which the gain level is up to 5v... Will i have any problems of clipping, distortion, or even damaging the amp?

·
Registered
27 Posts
so did you get a Eclipse CD7200 mk II? Did you end up going with a thumb drive or ipod and adapter?

Just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
have you tried putting a thumb drive into it and seeing how that compares to the ipod controlling ability?

I am lookin at the Eclipse 7200 right now, and am curious how the thumb drive playback is on it, and have questions about it if your able to answer them for me. If not then no big deal.

Can you navigate around on the thumb drive like a mp3 disc with folders?
OR
is it one directory where all the songs are put together?

That's my main concern with it. Everything else looks perfect as far as features, adjustability and looks sexy to.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^... as of right now, i can't answer any of those questions. I bought the unit and took it to my installer who is doing my build, i just have to wait till i get my car back!

also, i don't have a thumb drive... but i have seen many people complain about navigating through the thumb drive - ipod are much more organized

·
Registered
27 Posts
well thanks for the information on that. I hope you like it when you get it in. You should do a review of it when you get it installed and are using it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thanks for the information on that. I hope you like it when you get it in. You should do a review of it when you get it installed and are using it.
I will, mostly i'm going to be comparing it to my previous head unit (Alpine CDA-9835) and against my friend's Alpine CDA-9887...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have one, for the last few days (after finally fixing the eject issue lol) anyway the usb thumbdrive works VERY fast. Almost immediate playback, doesnt take very long at all to bank the drives (Ive only used a 4gb,and 8gb so far), im taking a long trip so im loading up a 32gb so illg et back on that.

only thing is the drive MUST be FAT32 formatted, which means no large AIFF or WAV files

I would have thought eclipse would have paid for the AAC codec usage, considering the copper chasis, and 8v preoouts

Also it may just be my lack of familiarity with all the settings after a few days, but the screen is TERRIBLE for track information, for most tracks you get a truncated repsentation after it scrolls, and also the stock background makes it very hard to read. For some reason you can have listed track info, over a BLACK background, only the stock background or one of those stupid movies

It crazy that you have this huge face, yet teh screen is somethign from 1989 small lol, eclipse just does odd things sometimes--and only gets it half right

I dont have a ipod to compare, but with my old 6620, the current ipod controller for eclipse was not the fastest, but maybe they have upgraded it or someting

·
Registered
265 Posts
ok, here's the thing.
usb drives transmit all their data over the cable to the DAC (digital to analog converter)
of the eclipse 7200 and the ipod plays off its OWN DAC.
the 7200 has a MUCH superior dac to that of the ipod or the ipc106(whichever dac is in use), hence mp3s off usb are always going to sound better than the same mp3s on the ipod as a source.
then again, if you use ALAC(apple lossless) on your ipod (usb doesnt allow ALAC), your mp3 tracks from the usb drive are not going to sound as good as the ones from the ipod.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ok, here's the thing.
usb drives transmit all their data over the cable to the DAC (digital to analog converter)
the 7200 has a MUCH superior dac to that of the ipod or the ipc106(whichever dac is in use), hence mp3s off usb are always going to sound better than the same mp3s on the ipod as a source.
then again, if you use ALAC(apple lossless) on your ipod (usb doesnt allow ALAC), your mp3 tracks from the usb drive are not going to sound as good as the ALACs from the ipod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok, here's the thing.
then again, if you use ALAC(apple lossless) on your ipod (usb doesnt allow ALAC), your mp3 tracks from the usb drive are not going to sound as good as the ALACs from the ipod.
Thanks for the information thats great to know.

Also another reason to you rip all your music at 320bitrate, thats what ive done for years now, i think the lowest bitrates i have in my collections are 256kbit. I dont care to much about jamming 500 songs on something id rather have 200 good quality songs than 500 mediocre sounding songs.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
ok, here's the thing.
This is pretty accurate. The thumb drive is just digital files, the HU converts them into analog. On the Ipod, the files are processed through the ipod's DAC before it even goes into your HU. In that respect, the thumb drive theoretically wins in SQ. That doesn't mean you'll prefer using the thumb drive though, I would gather that the interface with the ipod will make controlling the songs easier than that of the USB. Also with the ipod, you can have lossless files, which you can't with the USB drive. This might give the SQ advantage to the ipod in the end. You'll have to try it out and report back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts