DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the eclipse CD7200 mkII and it sound incredible.
Everything worth great except there is a faint white noise. It doesn't matter if I crank the volume to zero or volume to the max. The noise is constant. Could it be I didn't ground the unit correctly? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
784 Posts
They all do that the 7000 through 7200, turn your gain down and you won't hear it. Grounding might help reduce it a bit.

Incase your wondering how I know, I sent my 7000 back to Eclipse to have it fixed, came back the same, tried another one in my car same noise, tried mine out of car on a test rig same noise, tried another one on the test rig same noise, got one new out of a box tried it on the rig same noise. I previously set my gains using 60 as max volume but I redid them using 70 as the max volume, and you now can't hear anything unless your ear is next to the speaker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same issue except my gains are on minimum (on the tweeters and mids) where the noise is audible.

I've upgraded the grounds (tried 3 different spots etc) that helped a little and I am currently redoing my RCA's (as they have been a noise issue - except alternator based for that one). I am also currently building a "power source" for the headunit to see if this makes any difference (101,000uf capacitor bank using small caps e.g. 4700uf each). I'm hoping this will filter appropriately any problems through the power to the unit. We'll see how that goes.......... (waits for capacitor comments) LOL.....

Jono

·
Registered
784 Posts
Same issue except my gains are on minimum (on the tweeters and mids) where the noise is audible.

I've upgraded the grounds (tried 3 different spots etc) that helped a little and I am currently redoing my RCA's (as they have been a noise issue - except alternator based for that one). I am also currently building a "power source" for the headunit to see if this makes any difference (101,000uf capacitor bank using small caps e.g. 4700uf each). I'm hoping this will filter appropriately any problems through the power to the unit. We'll see how that goes.......... (waits for capacitor comments) LOL.....

Jono
Whoa that's one massive cap bank for a HU, if it works though let me know as I may be interested in stealing your design, it doesn't bother me since I can't hear it how it's set up, but if I can get rid or reduce it i'll try. But i'm doubting it will do much since as you'll see the tests i've done seem to conclude that the noise is pretty much self induced internally, since even out of car powered of a power supply the noise is there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have set mine up so when at 78/80 I am just about mildly clipping my amps on non-compressed material.

I find that around 72-74 depending on the compressed material you can just make out some distortion, but it's loud enough to not want it all that much louder anyways.

On 'Improve' style tracks such as drum kits etc I do notice that at over 70/80 on the volume, the static noise during quiet passages increases at a slightly higher rate then lower in the Vol range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whoa that's one massive cap bank for a HU, if it works though let me know as I may be interested in stealing your design, it doesn't bother me since I can't hear it how it's set up, but if I can get rid or reduce it i'll try. But i'm doubting it will do much since as you'll see the tests i've done seem to conclude that the noise is pretty much self induced internally, since even out of car powered of a power supply the noise is there.
It was an idea from one of my mates with electronic experience, I'm expecting it to do nothing as you say but I figured it was worth a shot at least it was only $40 or so worth of materials.

I should be finding out tomorrow or sunday if it works........ Fingers crossed.

Jono

·
Registered
27 Posts
crosspug,
did it work?

·
Registered
41 Posts
:rolleyes: Nope.............. Will be doing back to back tests with 3 different grounds to try and discover if this may make a difference (already done without the cap bank but willing to try again).

:mean:

Jono

·
Registered
27 Posts
let us know for sure what takes care of that faint noise, im considering this unit among a few others to use and ill be making the decision soon to buy something and when i put it in ill do whatever it takes to make sure that its soudning the way it should be.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
*whew* Well it's nice to hear that this is because of the 7200 and not my 3sixty.2. I read where the 3sixty's had noise issues, but you guys are all saying that it's your 7200's that have introduced the noise.

To be honest, I noticed the noise when I installed the HU but I thought it was the 3sixty because the other Kenwood double-din I had in there SUCKED for sound quality. But after adjusting the input gain on the 3sixty and the gains on my amps I've almost gotten rid of the noise. I can only hear it with the car off and on certain tracks with very quiet sections.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 7100 doesn't put out any white noise. I played with the gain settings quite a bit when I put my new active setup in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts