DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone in the USA that can import any of eclipse audio sound monitor series headunits and speakers from japan? :D after going on there website and clicking on japan as the origin of region and going through all the products IM HOOKED!!! screw the cd7200 this sound monitor stuff is straight audiophile stuff. its up there next to mcintoshs denons and clarion drz9255 ect ect someone let me know of a importer if you know of one please :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you can't find it here on the site, your best bet is through ebay. They pop up every several months so check ebay often so you don't miss one. Be prepared to drop more or less $1000 - $1500.
The sound monitor is great but only after modding it. Get in touch with Matt Roberts when you buy it and have him mod it. He has modded my SM and member AcuraTLSQ's SM. The mods to my SM consisted of upgraded caps, opamps and low jitter master clock. If time permits, I'll upload before and after pics tonight.

At the moment, I am running a P99rs.
P99rs vs. modded SM: The P99 was a disappointment at first because the soundstage isn't HUGE and dramatic like the SM. Now that I've retuned, the stage seems a bit bigger than before. The image is high but where it really excels is tonality (thats a given with a dual 1/3 oct. EQ). The SM has much better authority between 20hz - 300hz and better instrument separation. The P99 usually has a 2 dimensional image and the modded SM gives a 3D image more often than the p99. I miss the SM and will be installed after sending the P99 over to Matt (I hope).
I really doubt a stock SM will stand up against the P99. Modded SM vs. p99 both have pros and cons but a modded p99 should be a hell of a unit. If the p99 gets modded and I like it better, you can be first in line to buy my SM!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you can't find it here on the site, your best bet is through ebay. They pop up every several months so check ebay often so you don't miss one. Be prepared to drop more or less $1000 - $1500.
The sound monitor is great but only after modding it. Get in touch with Matt Roberts when you buy it and have him mod it. He has modded my SM and member AcuraTLSQ's SM. The mods to my SM consisted of upgraded caps, opamps and low jitter master clock. If time permits, I'll upload before and after pics tonight.

At the moment, I am running a P99rs.
P99rs vs. modded SM: The P99 was a disappointment at first because the soundstage isn't HUGE and dramatic like the SM. Now that I've retuned, the stage seems a bit bigger than before. The image is high but where it really excels is tonality (thats a given with a dual 1/3 oct. EQ). The SM has much better authority between 20hz - 300hz and better instrument separation. The P99 usually has a 2 dimensional image and the modded SM gives a 3D image more often than the p99. I miss the SM and will be installed after sending the P99 over to Matt (I hope).
I really doubt a stock SM will stand up against the P99. Modded SM vs. p99 both have pros and cons but a modded p99 should be a hell of a unit. If the p99 gets modded and I like it better, you can be first in line to buy my SM!
Which SM did you have? Those all really bold words saying the p99 trumps all over a stock SM.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A modded SM, you guys are insane...

but tell me more about yours Triggz, because if you are telling about the DTA-500, i know from friends it's a little bit disappointing in sound and processing.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
A modded SM, you guys are insane...

but tell me more about yours Triggz, because if you are telling about the DTA-500, i know from friends it's a little bit disappointing in sound and processing.
Why insane? So you are saying the 400 sounds better than the 500?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Which SM did you have? Those all really bold words saying the p99 trumps all over a stock SM.
I did not listen to the stock SM. My hypothesis is that the sound quality of the stock SM won't compare to the P99 strictly judging by what is on "paper".
The SM has:
1) One 24 bit DAC
2)24-MHz/24-bit signal processor
3)4 band parametric EQ for tweeter, 4 band parametric EQ for Mid

The P99 has:
1) Four 24-bit DACs
2) 32-bit signal processor
3) Dual 31-band EQ
4) Independent L/R channel adjustments

If you think the SM is great because of its price tag, don't believe the hype. Its what's is under the hood that counts.

As you can see, Barracuda777s friends have been disappointed with the stock SM.

South Syde, do you have experience with an Eclipse Sound Monitor?

Don't not take my reply as an attack to you. I'm not here to start cyber arguments. LOL I'm here to learn from the knowledge of this car audio abyss of DIYMA so anyone with opinions and specially experiences, please contribute to help us and the OP learn more about this pretty rare head unit.

To further my review: The best quality my SM has is the big stage in all directions. But the image of a tuned P99 is so much more coherent. The elements in the music seem to have a place where it stays put. The placement of the elements from the SM seems to move around a couple of inches from where you last heard it. ie - you are listening to a song where the drummer hits the crash symbol. You heard it 4 inches under the rear view mirror, 6 inches to the right. If you are playing that track from the SM, the next time the drummer hits that symbol, you might hear it an inch down from where you initially heard it then an inch left from there. There is about a 3 inch radius where the sound will move around from. If you were to play that track from a tuned P99, you can bet the hear the crash symbol in the same place every time if the recording permits. The p99 image is solid.

I knew DSP was important but I didn't not realize how important until I experienced it from the p99.

The SM to an MS-8 would make a fine combination - A clean signal to high level of DSP. That's what the P99 is achieving but I'm not totally impressed. The SM has spoiled me in one way and the P99 in another.

To the OP: whatever you decide to buy, mod the **** out of it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OEM:

OPAMP JRC 4580

·
Registered
69 Posts
MODDED:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I did not listen to the stock SM. My hypothesis is that the sound quality of the stock SM won't compare to the P99 strictly judging by what is on "paper".
The SM has:
1) One 24 bit DAC
2)24-MHz/24-bit signal processor
3)4 band parametric EQ for tweeter, 4 band parametric EQ for Mid

The P99 has:
1) Four 24-bit DACs
2) 32-bit signal processor
3) Dual 31-band EQ
4) Independent L/R channel adjustments

If you think the SM is great because of its price tag, don't believe the hype. Its what's is under the hood that counts.

As you can see, Barracuda777s friends have been disappointed with the stock SM.

South Syde, do you have experience with an Eclipse Sound Monitor?

Don't not take my reply as an attack to you. I'm not here to start cyber arguments. LOL I'm here to learn from the knowledge of this car audio abyss of DIYMA so anyone with opinions and specially experiences, please contribute to help us and the OP learn more about this pretty rare head unit.

To further my review: The best quality my SM has is the big stage in all directions. But the image of a tuned P99 is so much more coherent. The elements in the music seem to have a place where it stays put. The placement of the elements from the SM seems to move around a couple of inches from where you last heard it. ie - you are listening to a song where the drummer hits the crash symbol. You heard it 4 inches under the rear view mirror, 6 inches to the right. If you are playing that track from the SM, the next time the drummer hits that symbol, you might hear it an inch down from where you initially heard it then an left from there. There is about a 3 inch radius where the sound will move around from. If you where to play that track from the tuned P99, you can bet the hear the crash symbol in the same place every time if the recording permits. The p99 image is solid.

I knew DSP was important but I didn't not realize how important until I experienced it from the p99.

The SM to an MS-8 would make a fine combination - A clean signal to high level of DSP. That's what the P99 is achieving but I'm not totally impressed. The SM has spoiled me in one way and the P99 in another.

To the OP: whatever you decide to buy, mod the **** out of it.
Ok, so im guessing you have the 500 sound monitor. You never specified which one you have. I have not heard the sound monitor but i just purchased a cdt 450x. So i will be testing it agianst my denon dct100.

I have no need for a built in processor, I have a Rane RPM88, I am just looking for the best transport available, and the SM seems to fit the bill. Matt R has told me that he modded a sound monitor heavily and I guessed it was yours! hehe He also told me stock the sound monitor was great, that is another reason why i bought it.

Baracuda777 has the cdt400x and seems to love it, i heard it recently at USACi finals and it sounded great, that is why I bought one for myself. Thanks Crhistophe!! :)

I have always loved Matts mod, Im a huge fan and I know all about the mods. :) He did a crazzzy job on your Sound monitor.

I will see this weekend how good it is, because I have heard a few p99 and have not been too impressed with it. The xovers are not that flexible and the eq is not veryy accurate to me. I take your word for it, that is why i hope i wont be dissappointed in my sound monitor.

~C

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to keep you hanging on the type of SM I have. Its the DTA-500x and ICD-500 cd transport combo. I updated my sig to specify.

You just missed one in excellent condition at a fair price. Contact "otanemu" to re-list... he always has high end gear.

Eclipse Sound Monitor DTA-500X and ICD-500X very Rare | eBay

·
Registered
69 Posts
Class A biased LT1215.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Class A biased LT1215.
Disregard the quoted brain fart above. The opamp is NOT class A biased but it is an LT1215.

The public parking lots near my job are notorious for stereo thieves and even car jackings once in a great while. I will not risk something so valuable. My Eclipse Sound Monitor is now for sale!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts