DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some direction guys. I have been playing with the TA and EQ on my 8455 for a couple of days, trying to determine if I can get any sort of decent imaging out of my factory speaker locations. Both mid and tweeter are in the doors. I still have the factory speakers in there, and I think I have some settings that are giving me decent results with a center image, but my soundstage is very narrow. My main concern is, after I spend a lot of time installing my C18's and LPG's in the same locations that I won't be able to get the same results. I don't know how much of an effect different drivers have on imaging & staging. I don't have many other locations for the speakers either. The mid has to stay in the door, but I could possibly move the tweeters to the a-pillars or the dash, but they would be right where the windshield meets the dash and firing straight up (worried about reflections). The car is a lease though, and I really don't want to permanently modify visible panels. But I don't want to have to do things over either. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Rick

·
Registered
578 Posts
It is very hard to use the speaker locations you mentioned & get great results in imaging. So if you are somewhat close, you should be happy because there is no trick to imaging from stock locations...

On the otherhand the new speaker may image a bit diff & may improve upon the stock.

I think, that your focus with the factory locations shold be tonality, other than that to get a wide, deep stage & good imaging, you'll need to experiment with custom speaker locations.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raul. Would putting my tweeters on axis in my dash improve things, or would the difference in phase with my midbass drivers offset the advantages? It doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like to raise and widen my soundstage. I wouldn't mind cutting the panel for my defroster vents but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. Do you think it would be worth it?

Rick

·
Registered
578 Posts
What I do when I am doing an install & those issues need to be taken care of, is I make sure the rest of the install is operational... HU, Procs & Amps. Once all this is in place, you can place your speakers in the desired locations for some testing.

Since you are limited in what you can\want to do in the car, take some time to place the driver in the desired locations and listen to the results.

It is important to do so, if imaging is important to you since what may work in one car may not work in another.

So would it help... it may or may not. Try it out. Double sided tape is your friend when testing for tweeter locations :)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
racerraul said:
Try it out. Double sided tape is your friend when testing for tweeter locations :)

Good Luck.
Thanks Raul. I've never really put much consideration into tweeter placement before, as previous installs have been matched components and I spent more time trying to make it look pretty than image properly. I love this site!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts