DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
desire for a lower budget system omitting the need for external processing such as bit.one & simply tune with a 3way hu ...

so question is what effect do passive xovers have on time alignment and/or eq from head unit ?

system will consist of 4 or 5 1/4 components ran off of only 2 channels (not biamped ) so tuned as if coaxials ,tweeter placed near mid laser aimed to reach same point at opposite side window or seat ,powered with between 150 watts

-output on amps measured with sine and resistor so music will simply be peaks at highest power

midbass 8" active 150 watts
sens 1w/1m within 3-4 db of miss/tweets (fingers crossed)

subwoofer single 15"

I need to know if this is the way to go ,save myself few hundred ommiting another amp and save big $ omitting processing unit ,please help me understand any technicalities which may arise !?

thank you very much

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
you will get a phase shift with passives and so this will effect the T/A that you would use vs not having a phase shift. in all reality though, since you will be time aligning it by ear, with the passives in place. it wont make any practical difference.

how are you going to time align it though. most DSP that have T/A also have EQ and x-overs. so need for passives is moot. you also have to consider weather or not you have individual passives for each driver (bi-ampable) or do they have a single amplifier input and then outputs to speakers? if they have a single input, then you cant T/A the individual drivers.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Depends on what you consider "big money".

What it comes down to is that you can still achieve very good results with passive x-overs, provided that your source unit has the T/A & eq features necessary to tune effectively.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
phase shift etc etc was all that came to mind based on what I know ... that the passives would alter the t/a (if their actual output not measured with the unit mic)
- im pretty sure hu dont have mics to listen n tune accordingly

so example being an alpine programmed for driver distances and position ,then passives have what effect to throw it all off ?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
yes, but adjusting T/A by plugging in the yardstick measurement will give you bad results no matter what crossover you use ;)

with the phase changes that a passive will introduce, you will want to do it by ear for sure. ofcourse if you have the same slope for all speakers you will phase shift them all the same amount and it will become moot anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm but what do all those sexay red copper coils and foil caps do to the delay

I feel really mellow now that you all helped thru ,except for that point the delay .
yeah that :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
forget it , a 2ch old sedona for rear fill , 4 Runner 25 w a ch or close at 12v ,10 ft or so to the hatch I really need too I think ,when screens drop 5.1 can kick in k , noted ..

besides that off to save for a Zuki with brass unlisted pots :drool, Helix :

1 - 8 of 8 Posts