DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read the FAQ on efficiency and all, but a quick clarifier

if my midranges are 85db, does more power not effect there overall impact at a particular frequency band?

just wondering if the old simple addage more power, more spl applies with midranges??

in thinking of trying a audax 4" HM100C0 thats 90db :) next

like im wondering if I need to up the gains as I get very little output till I hit 35/35 on my deck ??

-------

and part two has any ever tested the outputs on a h701/h700 im wondering if they preouts voltage (rated 4v) isnt very linear in relationship to the HU volume

like im wondering if the tweet/mid/midbass (front. front2, rear,) preouts dont output a constant 4v?

the sub channel is much more powerful than my old 9835 by the way go figure?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I don't understand any of what you're asking :)

The Alpine h701 has a max continuous output of 4v, but you will never see it unless you're using a 0db sine wave...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Newtitan,

I think your troubles maybe tuning related vs any linearity of the outputs of whatever proc you put in there...

Don't be affraid to add more gain unless you are hearing distortion. On of the advantages of active filtering is the ability to adjust by cutting or adding more gain on the amps. This is ok since music is not constant, thus you can get away with adding gain when tuning with refference tracks.

Just guessing bro... You could have a defective unit for all I know... who knows... but just some food for thought during your tinkering process...

... having listened & played with H701 for a bit, short of a lack of digital outputs on decks on the market, it is a fine proc.

Where the heck are the pics man? :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
every speaker has its physical limitations but that does not mean that an 85 db speaker cannot ultimately get louder than a 92 db speaker

generaly lower sensitivity is synonymous w/ higher power handling, thus higher moving mass and inturn lower fs

the only way to have both worlds is to use composits for vc formers and such.... resulting in increased cost

my mids are inefficient and i give them double their rms.... they couldf probably take more too

also greater efficiency will be noticed in the uper reagon of its bandwith more sow than its lower

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah you guys are right on the tuning issue

3 ways are hard to tune boy lol

step 1

tweets are right---need a tad more gain--

step 2

mids are better upped the gain more

that and I learned that the mbqaurt gain is digital and you need to view the lcd to "see the db gain

(if you can get your hands on a Q series they sure are nice IMO)

the vifa pl's are not as "alive as Id like--they are clean, and flat as previously reviewed, just a tad too warm I think for me

its odd they sound very different from my 07 mids? evne they loook almost identical

I may try the new peerless 4" so I can go all peerless just to be different

QUICK ?? do midranges need sealed enclosures to get the best midrange clarity?? I was wondering if I need to seal of the back of my apillar molds. right now I stuffed about a 1/2 lb of polyfill into the mold,and then mounted the midrange

step 3

midbass okay im now a convert, I was a tad worried on day one, but after messing around with the pods, sealing em better, adding polyfill

the xls 8" are SWEET, in my car they need power though. I had to up the gain to close to 3/4 (14 db on the gain to be exact)

to get them moving , and I think they still have a ton left in them anyone have a 2225x2 @ 8 ohm amp lol

I like them, very pleased !!!!

the h701 is awesome in my limited opinion, I know most hate the alpine menu structure, but its not that bad to me, you just have to memorize a few twist and turns , kind of like a video game :)

I really appreciate the control now

next step

behringer mic, and laptop mic preout sound card so I can I do the pc measuring

and as far as pics, lets just say I have to redo my last finisihing step--the door pods, and apillars are kind of not great looking to put it lightly lol

those with kids, can understand 4 weeks of fiberglass.filler is not so great in there eyes lol so I rushed at the end and the "appearance isnt very nice

im good at the molding process, but I need to learn patience at the finishing stage

·
Registered
578 Posts
newtitan said:
...I may try the new peerless 4" so I can go all peerless just to be different...
Well damn it I guess I better hurry & order the 5" exclusives to see how they compare to my RS150 before you do that... Wouldn't want to be outdone by no Titan owner now, would I? :) J/K

QUICK ?? do midranges need sealed enclosures to get the best midrange clarity?? I was wondering if I need to seal of the back of my apillar molds. right now I stuffed about a 1/2 lb of polyfill into the mold,and then mounted the midrange
I have heard that mids don't need to be sealed, & have seen some home speakers where the mids are wide open in the rear... I say try both ways... I did a while back with my Vifa MG & ended up sealing them... I need to try now with my RS to see the effects if any...

midbass okay im now a convert, I was a tad worried on day one, but after messing around with the pods, sealing em better, adding polyfill

the xls 8" are SWEET, in my car they need power though. I had to up the gain to close to 3/4 (14 db on the gain to be exact)

to get them moving , and I think they still have a ton left in them anyone have a 2225x2 @ 8 ohm amp lol

I like them, very pleased !!!!
As well you should be man... they are awesome, I am very pleased as well... tons of impact & output... I have [email protected] on mine & that seems to be plenty for them... actually I'd be surprised if mine are seeing that much... just some feedback on how they are doing for me...

Ok 1 more time... you taking pics or what? I'm dying to see how your a-pillars & doors look man... PM me if the forum isn't ready for them ;)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright man Ill send you some pics when I get home--you just have to promise not to laugh lol

as they are not that great--I SHOULD have sanded down the texture coat in between layes as they came out rather bumpy ---arrrgh

so I have to redo the finish this weekend

and they just started shipping the new full range creativesound ca driver supposedly plays to 20k no tweeter

how about you order the peerless and I order the creative so we can hav a forum review of both drivers :)

it seems its better for the overall forum the more diverse people try out and review

so if I cross my mids from 200hz to 5kh----- I may??? get more clarity in the midrange if they are sealed?

not sure if its the best band for everyones applciation (which I beginning to realize makes a huge difference)

but my XLS are at 20 hz (no slope natural roll off) to 300hz (30db slope)

it allows them to somewhat mesh with my dash midranges, and allow for some low end output when I have to turn the subs down when the kiddies are in the back

I think 125-150 (what mine are getting) is enough power, but id like to be able to bottom them out, and then back down the gains 1/4 and use the rest of the power as headroom, so in my pods its seems Id need maybe 100W or so more

these are cleaner than my iridium 8" , much faster response (my only gripe with the ir8's) and much deeper

the iridiums seemed a little louder (but they were eating up 225 watts)--and MUCH easier to mount lol the xls is 9" around WHOA

im really amazed that these xls can play with so much authoirty IB, with such a soft surround???

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
These determine how loud it will get:

1. Actual sensitivity of the driver in your install at the listening position
2. Driver's thermal powerhandling limit
3. Driver's mechanical powerhandling limit

And of course factor in for bl/thermal compression.

As to midranges... they play best without an enclosure if at all possible.

The suspension stiffness has little to do with the suitability of a driver for free-air/IB use. If you look at that monster voice coil you can see that it's the same height as the Focal utopia 12" subwoofers hehe. The xls has quite a bit of excursion, so feel free to boost any freq's you feel are lacking or you need more output.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have some old school Orion amps on ebay for sale... as soon as those are sold, I plan on getting a pair of the Peerless Exclusive 5.5" mids...

I will open the back of my kicks & give a 2nd review on the RS150's & do a comparison of the Peerless...

I'll try to drag Leo over to have a 2nd set of ears for the RS Peerless comparison... I'll also try to get them to our host for testing...

My gut feeling is that the RS at 1/2 the price, will probably hold their own... but we'll see. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.