DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping some of you intelligent & kind audio folk would help me with a quick question.

Today I'm installing a 2 Ohm Elemental Designs SQ10 Subwoofer & an 4 Ohm Alpine PDX-5 amp.

Should I wire the sub for 4 Ohms to the amp?

I've read that if the Ohms of the sub are too low for that of the amp, it can burn the amp up or put it in safety mode & shut it off. I've also read that some amps can handle lower Ohm subs but I'm not sure how to tell if the PDX-5 can handle a 2 Ohm or not.

Any advice is appreciated.

(edit: I accidentally left a 4 a the end of the title when creating the thread title... if you catch this mods, please correct)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt the sub a single coil? If so you cant wire it to 4 ohms, the amp can handle 2 ohms anyways so you are fine
What's odd to me is their website gives the option for a "single 2" or a "single 4," they don't show any dual SQ10's. Although the box the sub came in has "dual 2" & "dual 4" stamped on the outside, & the "dual 2" is checked off. So... should I believe the box that it's a dual coil?

Long story on how I got the sub, so I'll skip the details....

If it is dual 2, what would be the BEST way to wire it to the PDX-5?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Huh? Don't believe the box. Look at the sub itself. Does it have 2 sets of terminals? Nope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the pdx amps have a regulated power supply so they put out the same power whether its wired at 2 or 4 ohms. It is better to wire it in 4 ohms in this case because your current draw will be less and have more headroom on the amp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.