DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Would you like to see Second Skin sell a skid & scratch resistant enclosure coating?

• Yes - This would be a great idea!

Votes: 157 54.7%
  • Maybe - I need more info

Votes: 72 25.1%
  • Nope - Carpet and regular paint both work just fine

Votes: 55 19.2%
  • Leaving comments below

Votes: 3 1.0%
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (Second Skin) have almost developed an acrylic coating that sticks to wood like crazy.
Very similar to our noise coating Spectrum but without all the stuff that makes spectrum adhere well to metal, rustproof and such.

So instead of carpeting your sub enclosure, you could simply paint on this durable liner. It is something like a bed liner but not as glossy; a bit more flat but with good skid and mar resistance. Something you can clean with a wet rag that won't get scratched up.

We can add an agent to the mixture to make it self leveling too so it will always be smooth no matter how you paint it on, or we can give it a bit of a texture.
Very exciting stuff. Is this something you guys would like to have available?

ANT

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Enclosure cover - Would you guys like to see a druable coating for kick pods & bo

sounds like a cool product, would it be black or grey?
Right now it is flat black, but we could gloss it, or make it grey as well.
Any color really , but every batch we make is at least 200 gallons so it is much easier to keep it grey & black

ANT

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Re: Enclosure cover - Would you guys like to see a druable coating for kick pods & bo

Ide buy some. I just made another home theatre box and bought some el' cheapo "bed liner" spray. Turned out pretty much flat black but just looks like paint.

Personally, I would like to see some texture in the product.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ide buy some. I just made another home theatre box and bought some el' cheapo "bed liner" spray. Turned out pretty much flat black but just looks like paint.

Personally, I would like to see some texture in the product.

For texture we can add
crumb rubber from tires.
recycled tennis ball bits
80 mesh rubber powder
Ceramic spheres
Solid or hollow glass spheres

a few other things as well.
I will have to play with it some..

·
Registered
113 Posts

Can't say I'd be interested. I'm sure others would be though.

·
Registered
312 Posts

I have a couple questions if I may I have another idea for it:

Does it have any sound deadening properties ? (May be a stupid question)
Would it help to stengthen an enclosure ?
What can we expect for thickness on single coats ?

I would like to see u sell it just flat black without an texture and give us a bag of texture to mix before application. I can think of a ton of other applications for it. But I we are getting ready for a Chassis build on a rat rod and want something to coat the chassis in thats durable but not like undercoating but that we could apply in thin coats like primer.

Something like this but a driver:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vintage car Motor vehicle

NOT TRY TO GO OFF TOPIC SORRY ! :D

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

My first thought was: why?

Unless it was less expensive than covering a box with the typical carpet, I doubt I would bother with it.

Then again, I can image that it would be a great DIY method of finishing fiberglass sub enclosures or speaker pods if it could be textured to match vehicle interior panels.

So really, I think it would be a cool alternative to have for custom applications more than anything.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a couple questions if I may I have another idea for it:

Does it have any sound deadening properties ? (May be a stupid question)
Would it help to stengthen an enclosure ?
What can we expect for thickness on single coats ?

I would like to see u sell it just flat black without an texture and give us a bag of texture to mix before application. I can think of a ton of other applications for it. But I we are getting ready for a Chassis build on a rat rod and want something to coat the chassis in thats durable but not like undercoating but that we could apply in thin coats like primer.

Something like this but a driver:

View attachment 11255

NOT TRY TO GO OFF TOPIC SORRY ! :D
The total thickness will only be about 20 mils so sound deadening will be kind of limited. Not really enough material on the wood to reduce resonance. Not sure how well 40 or 60 mils would do. There might be some mud cracking at that thickness, unless multiple thin coats were allplied and allowed to dry. The coating can go on the inside and outside of the box though. IT will do a good job at sealing it up, but in a properly built box, there should not be any leakage issues anyway.

For the rat rod, I would look into the regular Spectrum coating, which will do an awesome job protecting against rust and vibrations.

ANT

·
Registered
312 Posts

Thanks ANT

·
Registered
141 Posts

spellcheck that title

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: Enclosure cover - Would you guys like to see a durable coating for kick pods & bo

I think it would be great, I've been wondering what to use on my HT cabinets.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Re: Enclosure cover - Would you guys like to see a durable coating for kick pods & bo

I think the main question I have is cost?

There are several forms of bed liner out there that are reasonably priced. I have used Herculiner, Durocoat and a generic one I can't think of. The durocoat was 50 bucks for a half gallon kit. The Herculiner was 80 bucks with rubber bits. I prefer it to carpet as it seals the MDF. Well and I suck at carpeting.

·
Registered
244 Posts

I think it sounds like a good idea. I also like the tire bits idea for the texture, Do you have any pictures of it on a box yet?

·
Registered
17,148 Posts

If it's really durable lie other stuff on the pro market I'd be ALL ABOUT IT for my PA boxes, the carpet from the 80's is shot bad. I'd likely try it on my sub boxes first because they don't have flyware on them to remove, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts

This sounds great!! Was just about to repaint my box with more bed liner, guess I will wait it out in hopes this stuff comes out soon

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I think it sounds like a good idea. I also like the tire bits idea for the texture, Do you have any pictures of it on a box yet?
Nope
No pics yet.
The formula is pretty much done though. Just messing with the texture.

ANT

·
Registered
15 Posts

Any chance of getting a test gallon? I have a huge 5.2 cu ft box that I would love to try it on. Sorry, I'm sure you guys are tired of questions like this but I am just real excited for this stuff. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts

I'd love it if it were pretty reasonable in cost. I prefer using a bedliner type of product on my boxes because A) It's durable B) easy to do C) I suck at carpeting.

·
Registered
174 Posts

I was just thinking about this today. I was looking for a textured bed liner earlier so this would be perfect.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts