58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The gear:

1x JL 10W6v3-D4 sealed, corner loaded
1x JL TwK D8
1x ARC XDi 1100.1
(& more)

I'm looking at getting an additional JL 10W6v3-D4 (as the amp has the power for it, and why not) and put both of the drivers in a ported enclosure. However, designing the enclosure appears to be somewhat difficult in this trunk.

I've taken the measurements for the BMW F80 trunk and they are as below (they are safe, i.e. you can build a box against them and it will fit. I can't guarantee you can get it through the trunk opening though)

Trunk opening - w 35in x h 17in

38in deep - from rear seat floor to end of trunk (covers entire length of floor)

14.5in from rear seat floor, to floor cover hinge/joint < this is the max depth (at the floor) of a box, if you still want to be able to access the storage under the floor in the trunk. This is where I have the amps and the DSP.
29.5 floor width at end of trunk
29.5 floor width at rear seats
15.25in height at rear seats

"Triangle" dimensions against rear seat (top of triangle is where the seats meet the top of the trunk - the rear seats are slanted backwards, to the rear wall of the subwoofer enclosure needs to be slanted at an angle towards the seats in order to utilize the most amount of trunk volume.
6.25in base (depth, along floor)
15.25in height
~15.25in seat length

Box dimensions (outer) allowing access to amplifiers yields:
2.163 cu ft. total volume
0.156 cu ft. displacement for 2 drivers, left with net 2 cu ft volume to house internal box volume and slot port(s)

So - I have roughly 2 cu ft to work with, before slot port displacement(s) but after driver displacement. I spent some time graphing in WinISD and BassBox Pro and I think I can make this work with a 34Hz or even lower tuning. (highpass filter included)

The dilemma is the slot port:

• Where should the opening go (front baffle preferred, but side is also an option)?
  • What's the minimum dimension for the slot port, will I get away with 1in wide or do I need 1.25 or bigger? (regarding vent velocity and keeping group delay down)
  • Due to the slanted back, the port is going to be less than straight forward to build. Will I be able to somehow fit a big enough (or two) regular ports? I don't think so as the volume occupied for a given port area is lower for a slot port compared to a circular tube style port, is it not

I uploaded some pictures of the graphs and box design, I would appreciate any inputs to steer me in the right direction.

Link to graphs and enclosure dimensions on Imgur

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's an easy way to build a mock enclosure to test for fit? Find cardboard, cut it up, tape it together?

·
Registered
361 Posts
oh you got this,if its JL audio all you need to do is call them and tell them and they will actually send you a email with a drawing of the box and measurement pieces to cut,its that easy.

I've tried several times to get box measurements for ports on here but no luck,i can build a box I've been doing it since the 80's but never could figure out ports,plus my stupid mac is messed up and can't down load software.for sealed go to this web site and check out the calculator for yourself.

Rockford Fosgate® | Car Audio for Fanatics

then click on support then click on box wizard and do it,its super easy.but if you don't want to do this just give JL a call,i did it for years back in the 90's when that was all i ran.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh you got this,if its JL audio all you need to do is call them and tell them and they will actually send you a email with a drawing of the box and measurement pieces to cut,its that easy.

I've tried several times to get box measurements for ports on here but no luck,i can build a box I've been doing it since the 80's but never could figure out ports,plus my stupid mac is messed up and can't down load software.for sealed go to this web site and check out the calculator for yourself.

Rockford Fosgate® | Car Audio for Fanatics

then click on support then click on box wizard and do it,its super easy.but if you don't want to do this just give JL a call,i did it for years back in the 90's when that was all i ran.
It's not a straight forward install (at least to me). Here is a post from another person who installed an inclosure in the same trunk as my car. However, I need more volume, double the amount of drivers, and I need mine slot ported.

This gives you an idea...

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts