DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i am trying to regain some of my trunk in my 96 civic and wanted to make a stealth styled box that would be flush with the floor across the entire trunk, i have two 380 rms svc 12" sony's that require just around 1 cubic foot per sub as of now they are in a ported box with a tuning frequency of 35 hz. and within the spare tire well i have enough room to house the subs and required volume with the ports.
now here are the issues that i need help with
i am very good with fiberglass and building mdf boxes
and i want to be able to make this enclosure ported at 35 hz for each sub
my main question is: will my sq or spl be hurt by making the opposite side of the sub mounting side of the box say .5" away from the back of the magnet?

please help !!!! im dying inside to make my trunk as simple looking as possible, but with the sound i have now

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Do the subs have a vented pole piece? Is the back of the magnet closed or does it have a hole?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ok, so i am trying to regain some of my trunk in my 96 civic and wanted to make a stealth styled box that would be flush with the floor across the entire trunk, i have two 380 rms svc 12" sony's that require just around 1 cubic foot per sub as of now they are in a ported box with a tuning frequency of 35 hz. and within the spare tire well i have enough room to house the subs and required volume with the ports.
now here are the issues that i need help with
i am very good with fiberglass and building mdf boxes
and i want to be able to make this enclosure ported at 35 hz for each sub
my main question is: will my sq or spl be hurt by making the opposite side of the sub mounting side of the box say .5" away from the back of the magnet?

please help !!!! im dying inside to make my trunk as simple looking as possible, but with the sound i have now
they only require 1cuft ported? I find it hard to believe that you can tune any sub to 35hz in 1cuft. the port alone will take up nearly that much space :p

as for rear clearance on the sub, as thomas mentioned, if it does not have a vented rear pole peice, then you can pretty much mount it right on the rear of the sub. if it does, you need to leave a couple inches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they only require 1cuft ported? I find it hard to believe that you can tune any sub to 35hz in 1cuft. the port alone will take up nearly that much space :p

Yeah, 1 ft^3 per sub tuned at 35 hz... trust me they are loud enough to get me a 85 $ ticket with the trunk being dynamat-ed ... the port is 10x1x14, but the calculator i used i guess could be considered as an inferior one haha

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
1 cuft with those port dimensions would be 40hz tuned not 35. port velocity would be off the charts :) which would tune it even higher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts