DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody !
I want to try another enclosure for my kicker sub, but I need some informations. I think I will keep a sealed enclosure, just because it's easier.I really don't know how to make a good and specific vented one for my sub.
I have the owners manual of my sub, but do you know what should be the best volume to achieve a powerful output and good quality sounding.
I have a 4 cu feet sealed enclosure. I can say I like it, but it takes too much room in my little trunk !:D
I listen mostly to reggae and rap music : I like heavy bass!!!
What can I do ? Keep the one I already have, or what?!!!
BTW, do you think I can make a port in the one I have in my trunk? If I can what would be the best way to port it, and to modify the port if I make a mistake?
Thank you all for all the informations you give on this forum:)

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
What does Kicker recommend?

If you want to experiment, you can easily take some wood, 4x4's are good for this, and place pieces inside the box, to remove volume.

Then, you can easily measure the wood to figure out HOW much volume of the box you are removing... once you settle on something you like, you can subtract the volume you put IN the box, OUT of the next design..

Move in .5cf increments..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kicker recommed a volume of 2 to 6 cubic feet !
I already had a little one with 2.5 cu ft, but the sub was playing as if the sound was limited, as if the sub was not able to express itself !
Your idea of putting some wood in the enclosure to test it seems to be very good, but what if I build a 3 cu feet enclosure with a lot of polyfill ? Do you think it would be satisfying for my taste ?
My sub is facing the roof, and I think it can sound better to face the back of the car. That is why I would like to make a smaller enclosure.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Kicker recommed a volume of 2 to 6 cubic feet !
I already had a little one with 2.5 cu ft, but the sub was playing as if the sound was limited, as if the sub was not able to express itself !
Your idea of putting some wood in the enclosure to test it seems to be very good, but what if I build a 3 cu feet enclosure with a lot of polyfill ? Do you think it would be satisfying for my taste ?
My sub is facing the roof, and I think it can sound better to face the back of the car. That is why I would like to make a smaller enclosure.
No idea man...

This is much more of a SQ site, geared more toward pure SQ than SPL... you may wish to sign up on CA.com and post the same post there... That is the SPL site.. They should be able to help you better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your box now is 4 cubes sealed for one driver you can port it with a single 6" round port 20" long for 30Hz tuning. Cut it down to 13.5" for ~35Hz tuning.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The Kicker's usually sound bad when you use Kicker's recommended box size. Their boxes are designed to maximize power handling and tailored toward the mass market. They can sound good, but the boxes are usually huge.I know the squares can be used IB and maybe an alternative to look into.

Get great output and save trunkspace at the same time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your box now is 4 cubes sealed for one driver you can port it with a single 6" round port 20" long for 30Hz tuning. Cut it down to 13.5" for ~35Hz tuning.
6" round port for 20" long ? That's a really big port ! It must make an angle in the box (I don't know if I can say that in english !) to fit.
Maybe I can try that, because I know I can close the port if I don't like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts