DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of research and I can't find any ideas-might just be obsessing.

Installed a new Clarion 702 with PPI i520.4 (under front passenger seat.) Grounded headunit to eliminate minor static in speakers. Amp grounded to same location as OEM amp but I sanded down to bare metal-was painted.)

First issue- amp gain is only turned up about 10% (6v-.25v.) Sound gets as loud as I like without static. Is this gain setting normal for a 5V preout from HU?

Second issue- no noise with car off and HU off. When car runs and HU off moderate engine/alt noise, increasing with revs. But when HU turned on noise goes completely away. To me this doesn't seem right.

Any ideas,
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What generally causes this? Running speaker and power wires away from each other decreased about 50%. Since HU is always on the noise shouldn't be an issue but I would just like to know the cause.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Do you have passive crossovers in your system?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Lots of research and I can't find any ideas-might just be obsessing.

Installed a new Clarion 702 with PPI i520.4 (under front passenger seat.) Grounded headunit to eliminate minor static in speakers. Amp grounded to same location as OEM amp but I sanded down to bare metal-was painted.)

First issue- amp gain is only turned up about 10% (6v-.25v.) Sound gets as loud as I like without static. Is this gain setting normal for a 5V preout from HU?
sounds about right to me. if the highest voltage it accepts is 6V and you have a 5V HU, then you wont need to turn it up much.
Second issue- no noise with car off and HU off. When car runs and HU off moderate engine/alt noise, increasing with revs. But when HU turned on noise goes completely away. To me this doesn't seem right.

Any ideas,
Thanks
my idea is dont turn off the HU :D

more than likely some noise is being grounded out when the HU is on and it isnt when its off. if you are noiseless when it is on, just leave it on.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Try moving the passive crossovers around, especially if the inductor coils are near power lines.

Just what I was thinking....I had the same issue years back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts